Page Layout not represented in PDF as expected

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
LarryCarey
Propeller Head

Page Layout not represented in PDF as expected

Post by LarryCarey »

I feel like I'm missing something basic here but I can't seem to figure this one out:
I have a simple two-page document that uses a page layout file consisting of a "First page" (with a Header, a Decorative and a Body frame), and a "Normal page" (with a Body and Footer frame).

The page layout looks fine in the Flare Project: Headers/Decorative/Body are all on the first page, and the Body and Footer are on the second page. This is how I need my PDF output to look. However, when I build my PDF, both pages have the second page (Body/Footer) layout. The Header and Decorative frames do not show up on the first page of the PDF.

I have checked and re-checked all of the relevant settings that I can think of:
My PDF Target properties indicate that the "Master Page Layout" is set to use the correct page layout file. "Master Stylesheet" is set to "(default)". My Project Properties also indicate that the "Master Page Layout" is set to use the same page layout file.

Obviously, I am missing something basic here. Any ideas would be highly appreciated. I've been struggling too long with this issue.
Thanks!
doloremipsum
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Page Layout not represented in PDF as expected

Post by doloremipsum »

So the trick with Page Layouts is that you have to tell Flare where to apply each page type. In the TOC for your document, open the Properties for the first topic and go to the Printed Output tab. There you can define a Page Layout Break and set what Page Type you want this topic to use.

Something you'll need to keep in mind is the difference between pages and topics in Flare. If you set the first topic in your TOC to the 'First' page type, the page type will initiate there. The next page in the document will always be a 'Body' page type, regardless of whether there is a new topic or not.
in hoc foro dolorem ipsum amamus, consectimur, adipisci volumus.