Linking External Files from PDF Output

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
doloremipsum
Sr. Propeller Head

Linking External Files from PDF Output

Post by doloremipsum »

I just spent a decent amount of time trial/erroring this, so I thought I'd post here to enlighten others who might want to do the same thing. I've been asked to create a PDF that contains links to a (large) number of other files (essentially combining our release notes with the excel spreadsheets used for test results).

Turns out that you CAN do this with a PDF, with the following notes:
  • You can use an external file link but only in a very simple way: the link must either be absolute (e.g. to a network drive/web server), or contain only the file name (relative link). For the relative link, don't start it with file:///.
  • You can store the files within your Flare project and link within the project. The file will be copied into the relevant Output folder on build.
  • If the link is relative Flare will only link the PDFs to files in the same root folder. You can't create a relative link to subdirectories, on build Flare will 'correct' the link so it's just the filename.
  • The above is true even if you put the file somewhere in your Flare project and create a relative link to it.
  • Haven't tried other PDF readers but I can only open the links in Acrobat, not when I open the PDF in Chrome.
Essentially what I'm planning to do is distribute these docs in a ZIP file and tell people to open the PDF in Acrobat. Obviously if people start moving the excel documents around things will start breaking.
in hoc foro dolorem ipsum amamus, consectimur, adipisci volumus.