'Generate tagged PDF' for PDFs uploaded SharePoint Online

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
stijnvanderwee
Jr. Propeller Head

'Generate tagged PDF' for PDFs uploaded SharePoint Online

Post by stijnvanderwee »

Hello,
In the target of PDF outputs, there is a check box 'Generate tagged PDF' in the 'PDF Options' tab.
When uploading a PDF file with this check box NOT selected to a MS SharePoint Online (SPO) site, it seems that SPO does not correctly crawl and index the text inside the PDF. The result of this is that when you search the SPO site on text strings that appear inside the PDF, the PDF is not returned in the search results.
However, when the ‘Generate tagged PDF’ check box IS selected in the PDF target, the search behaviour is again back to normal: After uploading the PDF to SPO, the PDF is returned in the search results when expected! :D :D

According to Flare’s help, PDF tagging “gives the file a structure similar to that of the source XHTML documents. This structure is necessary for certain accessibility applications, including screen readers”.
Some googling around shows that tagged PDFs are supposed to help with screen readers for users with disabilities. But did not find any information that the check box may impact the searchability of the PDF text in SPO..

I am wondering whether anyone has similar experiences with this check box?

Thanks & best regards,
Stijn Vanderwee
Christian Wagner
Propeller Head

Re: 'Generate tagged PDF' for PDFs uploaded SharePoint Onlin

Post by Christian Wagner »

Hello,
I was curious and tried that, and I can confirm that.
Without checking the mentioned box, full text search in SPO does not work for the PDF created with Flare.
regards
Christian Wagner