Nesting PDFs inside a TOC

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
aysseldyk
Jr. Propeller Head

Nesting PDFs inside a TOC

Post by aysseldyk »

Hi there,

My apologies if this has been asked before, but I've searched for awhile and can't find an answer.

I'm working with a combination of .htm and embedded PDF files to generate one PDF file. The Flare TOC is nested properly, with both the .htm and PDF files nested under another section divider page that has Properties set to New Chapter. (I've tried making the divider page first a PDF, then a Flare topic file, with the same results.)

However, when I build the PDF, the output doesn't nest the individual PDFs under the appropriate section, but instead makes them the same level as the sections.

Is there a way to nest the individual PDF files in the printed TOC?

This is what I'm trying to achieve:

1 Section Divider
- 1.1 Flare topic file(s)
- 1.2 PDF file(s)
2 Section Divider
- 2.1 Flare topic file(s)
- 2.2 PDF file(s)

And this is what I see in the output:

1 Section Divider
- 1.1 Flare topic file(s)
1.2 PDF file(s)
2 Section Divider
- 2.1 Flare topic file(s)
2.2 PDF file(s)
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Nesting PDFs inside a TOC

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Yeah, I've had that problem too. I did raise a bug (or was it a feature request?) but I can't remember ever getting an answer. That was a couple of versions ago so it may have been fixed on the sly, I haven't bothered trying again.

I think what I did to get round the problem was to include the PDFs in the Content folder and include a topic in my TOC that contains a link to the PDFs. Not as elegant by a long shot, but it wasn't a significant bit in my delivery so my internal customers took the "that'll just about do" attitude so I didn't chase the feature request.

Just had a thought - if you open the target and click the Advanced tab, if you select the Use TOC depth for heading levels check box and generate your target, does that do the trick for you? (I haven't tried it, so I'm making no promises.)
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
aysseldyk
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Nesting PDFs inside a TOC

Post by aysseldyk »

The "Use TOC depth for heading levels" Advanced setting worked PERFECTLY!! Thanks so much! :D