Mini TOC with more levels than TOC Proxy?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
lorynj
Propeller Head

Mini TOC with more levels than TOC Proxy?

Post by lorynj »

I'm generating to PDF and have checked "Use TOC depth for heading levels".

I want to make my TOC Proxy show 2 heading levels, while making my mini-TOCs show 4 levels. (Is this possible? If so, how?)

What I've tried

H1 through H4 have their corresponding mc-heading-level attribute set to 1 through 4. The mc-toc-depth on the mini-TOC is set to 4.

I tried setting the mc-toc-depth to 2 on the TOC Proxy and found it had no effect. (I subsequently saw a post on this forum saying that attribute has no effect on TOC Proxies, only on mini-TOCs.)

I reset the mc-heading-level attribute on H3, H4 to zero (0), and found that levels 3 and 4 were excluded from both the TOC Proxy and the mini-TOCs.

Based on what I've found so far, it seems that:
- TOC Proxy will include any or all of the Hn levels, so long as they have an mc-heading-level attribute set to non-zero.
- Mini-TOC will include any or all of the Hn levels marked with a non-zero mc-heading-level, bounded by the mc-toc-depth attribute.

Intermediate conclusion

If this is correct, the implication is that I cannot create a mini-TOC showing more levels than the TOC Proxy.

Questions

Are my observations and conclusions accurate?

Is there any way to achieve my goal?
Loryn Jenkins
Technical Writer and Consultant
Franchise Cloud Solutions
robdocsmith
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Mini TOC with more levels than TOC Proxy?

Post by robdocsmith »

Hi Loryn,

I think you're right. You need to set the mc-heading-level properties for the headings to change the content of a TOC proxy. But you can limit scope using the mc-toc-depth on a mini-toc proxy. Since mc-toc-depth is a property of both types of proxy, it makes sense to me that they'd work in the same way. Perhaps this needs to be raised as an issue?

I was wondering if you could use a mini-toc instead of a TOC. The problem is, the mini-toc will stop retrieving headings when it reaches a chapter break, so if you use chapter breaks the mini-toc will be truncated. If you don't have chapters, you could put a mini-toc proxy before the first H1 in your document and specify its depth locally (right click the proxy and choose "Edit Mini-Toc Proxy" to specify the depth.

Hope that helps,

Rob
ajpeck123
Propeller Head

Post by ajpeck123 »

I have exactly the same problem. I haven't tried it yet (just about to), but had you seen this?

https://kb.madcapsoftware.com/Content/M ... ntries.htm
Alison
Lone technical author - Flare user since March 2017
Currently using Flare 2020
robdocsmith
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by robdocsmith »

That looks like a better way to manage display of headings in print TOCs and MiniTOCs! Thanks for the link. I wonder what if there are repercussions on the PDF Bookmarks for online viewing?

Rob
Anne2404
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Anne2404 »

Hello,

I have the same problem and followed this article.

https://kb.madcapsoftware.com/Content/M ... ntries.htm

But it didn't worked out, for example the heading disappeared in my body text.

I created the class "GenTOCTable3" as a child of h3. Its still displayed in the TOC, witch is what I don't want. Its dislayed in my Mini-Toc, that it correct. But it is missing in my body text. :cry:

Did anyone followd this article and know if it's working?

Anne
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Anne2404 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:32 amI created the class "GenTOCTable3" as a child of h3.
The article says to add the GenTOCTable3 class to the table tag, not your h3 tag (or any heading tag).
So that's why your h3 is disappearing.

So you'd have this in your stylesheet:

Code: Select all

table.GenTOCTable3
{
   display: none;
}
Note that the steps in that article will not affect the heading levels displayed in your mini-TOC, it will hide heading levels from your main TOC/Contents - meaning you can display more levels in the mini-TOC than the main TOC/Contents.

The number of levels displayed by the mini-TOC should work as normal, so it will display the heading levels that have a mc-heading-level property greater than zero, up to the number of levels you set for the TOC Depth in the Minitoc proxy properties.
Anne2404
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Anne2404 »

Hello NorthEast,

thank you very much, now it works as expected! :wink: :D