Missing topic from PDF output

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
jconnors
Propeller Head

Missing topic from PDF output

Post by jconnors »

Hi there,

I am new to Flare. I have a topic that is listed in the TOC, but when I build the PDF, that topic is missing. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I have conditional text but just one one line and a couple of words in the topic.

Thanks in advance!
doloremipsum
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Missing topic from PDF output

Post by doloremipsum »

A few troubleshooting steps, in no particular order:

- Move the topic around your TOC, save and check if it's still not appearing.
- Create a copy of the topic and put that in the TOC.
- Check the code of the TOC to see if anything looks weird (in the Content Explorer, right click and open with a Text Editor).
- Try a different output like Word or HTML5.

Other than that it's hard to say without more information.
in hoc foro dolorem ipsum amamus, consectimur, adipisci volumus.
jconnors
Propeller Head

Post by jconnors »

Hi and thanks for getting back to me!

I tried all your suggestions and the file is still missing. Anything else I can try or look at?
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

My first instinct would be to check to see if the topic has been conditioned at the topic level and if that condition is being excluded by the PDF target.

My second instinct would be to try to open the topic in the XML Editor, to verify that it's valid XML. If it's not, Flare will put up an error message, pinpointing the exact line in the topic's code where the fault lies.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

On top of the other suggestions, have you looked in the build log? When you build your output, in the Build window (at the bottom of the screen) highlight the output you've just built and click Open Build Log. Search for the name of the missing file and see what the log says, then come back and tell us. It may be that there's a problem with the file structure and the log says something like "unable to open file", or some other message. It may be that for some reason you forgot to include the topic in the TOC linked to the target and have some other TOC linked to the target rather than the one you've been looking at (in which case you won't find the file mentioned in the log at all).

Keep digging, let us know what you find and we'll pop up with more suggestions for you.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
robdocsmith
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by robdocsmith »

On top of those suggestions...
Try looking in the temporary output folder for the topic. See if it gets copied into there as part of the book when being built. It will be a folder like:
<computer>/My Projects/<ProjectName>/Output/<YourName>/Temporary/<TargetName>
Also I've had topics I thought weren't in my document, but when I looked more closely, they were, but not where I expected to see them. I'd made a mess of pagination in the TOC entry and they found themselves tacked onto another topic. I eventually found it by doing a Find in the PDF for text in the topic.

Rob