PDF output - TOC vs Bookmarks

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
claypool
Propeller Head

PDF output - TOC vs Bookmarks

Post by claypool »

Good Morning - I have a PDF output target for which I need PDF bookmarks of the List of Figures, List of Tables, TOC, and First page. The issue I'm having is that I do NOT want these to appear in the PDF table of contents. Is there a way to do this? I have searched all around but can't seem to find a way to successfully accomplish this.

Thanks in advance for any insights.
-Holly
robdocsmith
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: PDF output - TOC vs Bookmarks

Post by robdocsmith »

Hi Holly,

Can you expand a little on what you want to achieve? What do you want to show in the Bookmarks pane of the PDF and what do you want the TOC to show in the document?
From my understanding, Flare doesn't give you that much control on the bookmarks it puts in the PDF pane. By default it will mirror the depth level of the TOC.

You are supposed to be able to insert a bookmark on a page and have that appear in the Bookmarks pane of the PDF (select PDF Options > Document Properties > Include non-TOC bookmarks in the bookmarks pane), but it will add an additional "Bookmarks" section to the PDF bookmarks pane after the normal TOC and insert it there along with a bunch of other items relating to figure/table captions. Having said that, I've not managed to get a self-created bookmark to appear in that section.

Rob