Relationship proxy creates empty space in PDF output

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
Christian Wagner
Propeller Head

Relationship proxy creates empty space in PDF output

Post by Christian Wagner »

Hi everybody,
we use the relationship proxy with condition "only PDF output" in individual topics for PDF output (for HTML we use the Master Page for this purpose). The proxy is included by default in each topic and starts working as soon as the topic is specified in the relationship table. For our layout, the proxy is at the bottom of the topic, so if the topic is related to other topics, the relationship is displayed at the end of the topic and before the next heading (in the form of a box with links).

However, we have the following problem:
If the topic is not included in the relationship table (so that the proxy actually should not display anything in the output), a few blank lines are displayed in the PDF output at the location of the proxy.
If, by chance, the element in front of the proxy is exactly at the end of the generated PDF page, the result will even be an empty page instead of the proxy.

Does anyone have an idea how we can solve this?
Regards, Christian
robdocsmith
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Relationship proxy creates empty space in PDF output

Post by robdocsmith »

I suspect it will be a matter of looking at the styles for the proxy and removing or minimising top/bottom spacing. Even though the proxy is empty on the page, it is still present and will take up some space. This is why it gets pushed onto the next page where the preceding element is at the end of a PDF page. Unfortunately this may end up being a compromise between what you want to see when you have proxy entries and what you can live with when there are no proxy entries...

Rob
Christian Wagner
Propeller Head

Thank you, Rob
I already "fiddled around" with the proxy styles, but setting the top spacing to 0 did not have the required effect.
I created a support ticket because I consider this an unwanted behavior.
What our workaround will be most probably (until a solution, or a suggestion is made by MadCap): Including the proxy with the prior paragraph in a "no page break div". So, instead of an empty new PDF page the prior paragraph is displayed at the top of the new page.
regards
Christian
Christian Wagner
Propeller Head

just fyi:
MadCap support has created a bug report on behalf of this.
A solution may be included in a future version.
Regards, Christian