Problems with first line indent on headers in Word output

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
johnnyb
Jr. Propeller Head

Problems with first line indent on headers in Word output

Post by johnnyb »

Hi All,

I'm fairly new to Flare and I'm probably missing something obvious, so please forgive my question if it doesn't make sense.

I have a project using Flare 2019 r2 which is primarily used to produce a PDF output, which works well. I have had a request to produce the same document in MS Word. I simply created a new target for Word, and used the same TOC used by the PDF output. Overall the Word output is OK, but one obvious problem is that section headers in the Word document have a negative value for the first line indent (-4.41cm), which means the text is missing off the left side of the page. I'm using the same stylesheet as the PDF output, so maybe it's a problem in there, but all the header styles look OK to me. Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong or where to look for problems?

Thanks.

John.
doloremipsum
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Problems with first line indent on headers in Word outpu

Post by doloremipsum »

I'm not sure what exactly is wrong in this case, but if you need to play with the word styles separately from the PDF styles you can add a medium to your stylesheet. For example, you could add an @Word medium and apply in the Word target (Advanced tab). Then you can play with the margins and padding on the h1 etc in the word target only.

I do find that word treats quite a few things differently from PDF (styles, page layouts, system variables, etc). We definitely can't use it to create polished published content - it's purely used for draft reviews over here.
in hoc foro dolorem ipsum amamus, consectimur, adipisci volumus.