Continued on next page...

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
jimszelagowski
Jr. Propeller Head

Continued on next page...

Post by jimszelagowski »

Hello Everyone,

My colleagues and I are working on several ~200 page guides that will be published both as PDF and HTML output. In the print version, we would like each topic to automatically add something along the lines of "Continued on next page." when a topic is split onto multiple pages. Is anyone aware of a tool or a hack that could do this for us? So far I have not been able to find anything like this in the Flare user guides.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
robdocsmith
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Continued on next page...

Post by robdocsmith »

Hi Jim,

I can't think of a way to do it without manually coding in the project when a topic is longer than a page. There are many ways to do that, from the basic (physically write "Continued on next page" near where there would be a page break at the bottom of a page of text - you could set the paragraph as hidden in the HTML medium) to more involved (use a page layout for longer topics that have a First type page layout that includes the "continued" text in a footer or decoration frame). But all involve knowing when a topic is long and hand coding something (either in the topic or in the TOC).

If you only wanted the text "Continued from previous page" in a topic on the second and subsequent pages of a file, you could set up a normal First page layout, then include the text on normal Left/Right page layouts.

The only other thing I could do is change your First page layout to clearly indicate where a new topic starts, either with some coloured bar or other obvious indication. That way at least your reader will have a signpost that a new topic has started.

Cheers,
Rob