Cross reference link does not work in MS WORD output

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
witia1990
Propeller Head

Cross reference link does not work in MS WORD output

Post by witia1990 »

Hi,
I am having a problem with cross-references and hyperlinks in MS WORD printed output.
I have created a cross reference to heading in my document.
Additionally, for comparison I have created a Hyperlink to the same heading. The result in MadCap is as follows:
Linki.png
Unfortunately in MS WORD output, after build the link via cross-reference is not active.
Linki_WORD.png
The solution would be to use Hyperlinks but unfortunately I do not know how to preserve the whole heading text in a link.
Linki_wizard.png
Has anyone got the idea how to:
- make cross-references work as hyperlinks in MS WORD,
or
- how to put automatically heading text inside a hyperlink instead of typing it in by hand?

Regards,
Witold
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
robdocsmith
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Cross reference link does not work in MS WORD output

Post by robdocsmith »

I think for hyperlinks if you click to the right of the Heading text entry field you can include a variable. Heading.AnyLevel probably is the right one, choosing the first heading on the topic you are linking. Or type the following into the Link Text field: [%=Heading.AnyLevel%]
There are many other system and heading variables you can choose if that doesn't give the right results. First H1, First H2, etc.

As to why the Word cross-reference doesn't work, I've no idea sorry. Not familiar with Word output and it's idiosyncracies.

Cheers,
Rob
witia1990
Propeller Head

Re: Cross reference link does not work in MS WORD output

Post by witia1990 »

robdocsmith wrote:I think for hyperlinks if you click to the right of the Heading text entry field you can include a variable. Heading.AnyLevel probably is the right one, choosing the first heading on the topic you are linking. Or type the following into the Link Text field: [%=Heading.AnyLevel%]
There are many other system and heading variables you can choose if that doesn't give the right results. First H1, First H2, etc
I saw the variable types. Actually my topic has many pages so first or last will not be working. To be honest, I don't find them useful for a daily use. It's much easier to write the text by hand.
I do not understand why there is no option to make a link to heading and insert the heading text as a variable.

But thanks anyway for your help :)