TOC ends on odd page, need blank even page in PDF

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
LarryCarey
Propeller Head

TOC ends on odd page, need blank even page in PDF

Post by LarryCarey »

For PDF output, how does one set up the TOC so that it ends on an even page (for printing purposes)? I've tried adding page breaks, paragraph returns, adjusting Break properties, but I still get a TOC that ends on an odd page in the PDF.
I would like it end on an even page so that it prints correctly front/back. This should be simple, what have I missed here?
robdocsmith
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: TOC ends on odd page, need blank even page in PDF

Post by robdocsmith »

Assuming you mean the Contents page and not the overall pagination of a document?
I have my TOC proxy embedded in a Contents.htm topic in my document. In the fltoc file, the Printed Output properties are set for that topic as follows:

Break Type: Chapter
Page Layout: whatever your contents layout is
Page Type: First (or your preference)
Auto-end on 'left' page: Enabled.

I make sure my Page Layout for the contents chapter includes normal Left and Right pages, a First page if you have a different starting page (for me its a First Right page), and an Empty page layout. The Empty layout is used for the final blank page and for me contains the header/footer and a "This page is intentionally blank" statement.

Each new chapter of my document starts with pretty much the same configuration in the fltoc file making sure the overall document has an even number of pages.

Rob
LarryCarey
Propeller Head

Post by LarryCarey »

Believe it or not, I am still struggling with this issue.
I need my Contents page to end on an even (or 'Left') page for printing.

Rob, as you noted, I too have my TOC proxy embedded in a Contents.htm topic in my document. In the fltoc file, the Printed Output properties are set for that topic exactly as you set yours.
Furthermore, I have experimented with just about every variation in these settings that I can think of, but nothing seems to work. My TOC ends on page 7 with no blank empty page, which obviously won't work for printing.

I have tried "Auto-end on 'left' page" both enabled and disabled, same results either way.
I have tried adding returns to the TOC page to manually force a page break after the TOC proxy, same results, and the returns all seem to vanish when I build the PDF.
I have tried adding a page break after the TOC proxy, that doesn't work either.

Any other ideas out there?

Surely others have run into this problem...
-lc
robdocsmith
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by robdocsmith »

Hi Larry,

I have had issues like this before with other chapters. Suddenly finding some chapter won't put in the empty page to even it out. For me, the solution wasn't in the chapter that was affected by the weird pagination. I had to go through my TOC and make sure that every entry had Auto-end on 'left' page: Disabled, except for the top level chapter book level files. Those were the only ones I had to have as auto-left page enabled. The issue always turned out to be in the following or previous chapter, and I'm guessing that Flare when paginating gets confused sometimes with whether to insert a blank page or not.

Worth a check through to see if you've got a rogue enabled entry in there. Flare defaults to Enabled for new entries. Hope you get to the bottom of the issue!

Rob