Cannot access the build output folder

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
florente
Jr. Propeller Head

Cannot access the build output folder

Post by florente »

If I move or copy and paste the PDF in my output folder, I can't build it again until I restart my computer. If I try, I get the message Build failed: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Users...' because it is being used by another process. I make sure Adobe Acrobat is closed (that's what I use to view PDFs), and I've checked running Adobe processes in Task Manager, but I don't see anything obvious that would be using the file. I've tried deleting the folder that contains the PDF, but it won't delete either, so my computer definitely thinks it's in use. I've also tried closing and reopening Flare. Any idea what I can do to release the lock on the PDF other than restarting my computer?
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Cannot access the build output folder

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

I've found the strangest things hang onto PDFs. It's been a while, but the last time that sort of thing happened what cured it was closing various Office applications, think Outlook and Word. I don't think this is a problem caused by Flare, but it is definitely an annoying one.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Welcome to the forums, florente! :)

The issue lies with Acrobat, not with Flare. Acrobat isn't releasing the handle on the PDF. I've found an easy workaround when I hit this issue. With Acrobat still open, I open ANY OTHER PDF than the one that Flare just generated and I viewed. That seems to be enough to release the handle, and you should be able then to regenerate the PDF in Flare.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
robdocsmith
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by robdocsmith »

Hi,

Yes, definitely an Acrobat issue. One of the processes installed by Adobe alongside Acrobat (adobecollabsync.exe) uses file handles to enable shared reviewing of PDF files. It can sometimes hold the file handle too long, even after the file (and Acrobat itself) is closed, making other applications think the file is still open (and therefore unwriteble).

If you aren't doing file sharing using Acrobat and online reviewing, it doesn't hurt to remove this process. Unfortunately, Adobe will reinstall it everytime the software is updated. If you're having trouble with Flare builds failing, try opening up Windows Task Manager and ending the AdobeCollabSync process and then rebuilding the target.

* edit *
Also the process Adobe IPC Broker can hold file handles open longer than necessary. Again, ending this process doesn't harm Acrobat and it will immediately reopen (releasing the file handles in the process).

Rob
Matze
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Matze »

is this error only with Flare 2017 and already fixed with Flare 2020?

When I update my Flare version I need not the same error :mrgreen:
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

As already mentioned earlier in this discussion, the problem is not caused by Flare. It's an Adobe issue.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
tekwrite55
Propeller Head

Post by tekwrite55 »

I will give it a try! I found when I have the issue it is not necessary to reboot. I just sign out of Windows. Of course I still have to close any open apps.
tekwrite55
Propeller Head

Post by tekwrite55 »

The proposed solution did not work but I went into Task Manager and ended the highlighted task and it works multiple times! This is in Adobe Acrobat DX. Not sure if the task is the same for different versions but you can check Task Manager to see what is running on YOUR version.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.