What is Volume Number?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
Vibeke B
Propeller Head

What is Volume Number?

Post by Vibeke B »

Hi all

Need you help again! In a TOC, you can select the Properties and decide how the TOC will look. I understand Chapter Number, and I think I know what Section Number is (as I used sections when I used to work with Word). But I have no clue what Volume Number is and how to use it, nor can I find anything in Help to help me.

I would like the appendixes in my TOC to have letters (and know how to do that) but I would also like them indented, but I don't know how to do that without them getting an added 1 (see image). I faked this in the image, but can I achieve it in Flare? Is this related to Volume Number?
TOCs.png
Regards,
Vibeke
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
doloremipsum
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: What is Volume Number?

Post by doloremipsum »

I'm not certain about the volume number, although I have a feeling it's something to do with the option to produce multiple PDFs/word outputs when you generate output (based on chapter breaks in the TOC).

As for the lettered appendices, can you post the autonumber style you've set up for those headings? It looks like you've included numbers in the style that you don't actually want.
in hoc foro dolorem ipsum amamus, consectimur, adipisci volumus.
robdocsmith
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by robdocsmith »

I'm not sure there is a lot of difference between the three numbering types. They are just three levels of built in numbering that you can use as you want. Logically a Volume is a larger component than a Section, and a Section larger than a Chapter. I don't think it matters to Flare which you use as long as you define them correctly. I don't use Volume or Section numbers and just use Chapters for example.

Applying chapter breaks in a TOC will enable you to change or maintain numbering for each of the levels. Applying page breaks just enables you to apply a new page layout style. Applying a section break is useful if you want to split a document into sections and produce separate output documents for each section (or if using Word, can apply new master pages at each section).

You set in the TOC (Auto-numbers section) what the numbering format is for each type of level (decimal, roman, alpha etc).
You set in the stylesheet with the mc-auto-number-format property what autonumber is included in your style. For example:
H1 {mc-auto-number-format: 'CH:{volnum} '; } - looks like 1 Volume Heading
H2 {mc-auto-number-format: 'CH:{volnum}.{secnum} '; } - looks like 1.1 Section Heading
H3 {mc-auto-number-format: 'CH:{volnum}.{secnum}.{chapnum} '; } - looks like 1.1.1 Chapter Heading
H4 {mc-auto-number-format: 'CH:{volnum}.{secnum}.{chapnum}.{n+} '; } - looks like 1.1.1.1 Chapter Subheading

This help page explains how to use autonumber formats in styles:
https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... amples.htm

For example, I have a figure caption style that uses the following:
.figurecaption {mc-auto-number-format: 'CF:Figure {chapnum}-{n+} '; }

I think (I'm sure I've read it somewhere but can't find a reference) that the letters preceding the definition (CH, GH, CF, CT) just indicate a connected series of autonumber schemes. So, one code for table numbers, one for figure numbers, one for headings, etc. I don't think it matters what they are as long as you know what they are... Would love confirmation on that!

Hope that helps,

Rob
Vibeke B
Propeller Head

Post by Vibeke B »

Sorry for late response, I had other fires to put out…

Right now, all my appendix topics just start with the H1 for the headers, and as I indent them in the TOC, the TOC does what it is supposed to do normally and adds the digit that is normally used for an indented level. If I didn't want the indent, I would not have a problem. But I would really like that indent :?

So do I understand you all correctly, that a fix could be to change the appendixes to have their own style, like H1.appendix and then edit this to something like
mc-auto-number-format: 'CH:{chapnum}{A} ';

Wouldn't they just get the added digit when I indent them in the TOC anyway?
Could I use a section break and make the appendixes their own section? (my output it PDF if that matters)

This are my styles at the moment:
H1: mc-auto-number-format: 'CH:{chapnum}{ } ';
H2: mc-auto-number-format: 'CH:{chapnum}.{n+} ';
H3: mc-auto-number-format: 'CH:{chapnum}.{n}.{n+} ';

Regards,
Vibeke
robdocsmith
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by robdocsmith »

Hi Vibeke,

Ahh I see the issue now. Sorry I hadn't spotted the indent - you're basically using a H1 as a container for all appendixes. Here's what works for me...

CSS:

Code: Select all

h1
{
	mc-heading-level: 1;
	mc-auto-number-format: 'CH:{chapnum} ';
}
h2
{
	mc-heading-level: 2;
	mc-auto-number-format: 'CH:{chapnum}.{n+} ';
}
h2.appendix
{
	mc-heading-level: 2;
	mc-auto-number-format: 'A:{secnum} ';
}
h3
{
	mc-heading-level: 3;
	mc-auto-number-format: 'CH:{secnum}.{n+} ';
}
h3.appendix
{
	mc-heading-level: 3;
	mc-auto-number-format: 'A:{secnum}.{n+} ';
}
Note that you lose a level of headings because of the indent. Basically, your H2.appendix style needs to be styled like your normal H1 style.
I apply the H2.appendix style to the main heading for each appendix. Then use H3.appendix for your second level heading in your appendix topic.

In the Auto-numbers sections in the TOC:
For each normal chapter level I've got Chapter - increment number, Section - Reset to A Format Alpha.
For Appendix A I've got Chapter - same as previous, Section - Same as previous Format Alpha.
For Appendix B onwards I've got Chapter - same as previous, Section - increment number Format Alpha.

This produces the following:
TOC.png
Hope that helps,
Rob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vibeke B
Propeller Head

Post by Vibeke B »

I will try this suggestion and see how it works.

thank you! :lol: