Minitoc appears in online output but not in pdf

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
Vibeke B
Propeller Head

Minitoc appears in online output but not in pdf

Post by Vibeke B »

Hi guys, need help again!

I have a topic in my TOC that has subtopics. I have inserted the miniTOC proxy in the topic itself and it works like a dream in the HTML output (even though I have not inserted anything in the master page). So far I have not managed to get it to work in my PDF, and now I want to tackle that.

I have separate stylesheets for HTML and PDF output, but I copied the same lines from the HTML style sheet to the PDF style sheet. I only want the first heading of all the underlying topics. I have checked the box "Use TOC depth for heading levels" in the target.

This is my style sheet from HTML output that works:

MadCap|miniTocProxy
{
line-height: 9pt;
border-bottom: none 2px #000000;
border-top: none 2px #000000;
margin-left: 20px;
mc-toc-depth: 1;
font-style: normal;
text-decoration: underline;
color: #0000EE;
background-color: transparent;
padding-top: 0px;
}

p.MiniTOC1
{
color: #0000EE;
font-weight: normal;
display: list-item !important;
list-style-type: disc;
}

I tried changing the border top to solid and red, just to see if it would make a difference, and I can see a red line in the PDF, but nothing else. So I am inserting something, but not all I want. What am I doing wrong? There must be something I am overlooking. I have tried editing one thing at a time to see if I can fix it, but have not managed it yet.

Looking forward to your help again!

Kind regads,
Vibeke
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Minitoc appears in online output but not in pdf

Post by NorthEast »

I'd guess that the subtopics are not being included in the contents in the PDF output - if they're not displayed in the generated contents for the PDF, then they'll not be displayed in the mini-TOC either.
The contents in PDF outputs is generated based on heading levels in your topics, so it'll depend on what heading levels you've chosen to include (using mc-heading-level setting).
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

The TOC depth setting in the target has nothing to do with miniTOC. I don't think your CSS has anything to do with this either.

In the topics where you have placed the miniTOCs, try editing the miniTOCs to change what levels they are pulling. For example, if you have it set to All, you'll get all headings included. But, I realize that's not that you're after. So experiment with setting it to, say, 2, and see what that gets you.

HTH

(P.S. If I may offer a gentle reminder, not all of us here in the forums are guys.)

(Hi Dave. Didn't see you standing there!)
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
Vibeke B
Propeller Head

Post by Vibeke B »

Thanks David. The topics are included in the PDF, just not in the miniTOC.

Thanks Nita. I meant "guys" in the US sense (you guys), sorry if you felt excluded. I am female too BTW. But I have also tried several depths too. The TOC depth setting was mentioned in the Flare help, that's why I mentioned this. My changing the CSS to red makes a difference, it lets me see that I am actually adding something. But so far I am only adding the red border and nothing else.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

I take it back about the CSS. I'd remove the mc-toc-depth: 1 attribute from the miniTOC proxy selector. Then I'd edit the miniTOC proxy, in topic, to set the depth there. I suspect it needs to be something greater than 1 for Flare to have any headings to build links from.

(Re "guys": I'm not offended, actually. I'm U.S. born and bred, and most definitely use "guys" casually, all the time. But I think it worthwhile to avoid using "guys" as a form of address in a professional setting. I'll leave the matter be now.)
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Vibeke B wrote:Thanks David. The topics are included in the PDF, just not in the miniTOC.
Just because the topics are included in the PDF, it doesn't mean they'll be included in your contents for the TOC proxy, or mini-TOC proxy.

What's included in the contents (TOC proxy or mini-TOC proxy) is generated from heading levels in your topics, and is based on what you set for your heading styles in your CSS (the mc-heading-level setting).

So if you add a TOC proxy to the output, and you don't see the topics in the TOC proxy, then they won't be displayed in the mini-TOC proxy either.
Vibeke B
Propeller Head

Post by Vibeke B »

Thanks for your suggestions!