Multiple reviewer comments in PDF drafts

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
dmiller
Jr. Propeller Head

Multiple reviewer comments in PDF drafts

Post by dmiller »

Hello,

I'm adding PDF review copies to a shared drive for SMEs to mark up with comments. However, they are unable to add comments to the same document I provide, but rather, must save their own comments in a separate copy. This preevnts them from seeing and responding to other's feedback, but also forces me to work from several different copies to compare and contrast comments. It's messy all around.

Does anyone know how multiple reviewers can add all their comments in one PDF?

I've looked at both the Advanced and PDF Options in the target, and Settings in the generated document, but haven't found anything to do the trick. Is there something I'm missing? Does anyone know a workaround for this?

Thanks in advance for your help!
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Multiple reviewer comments in PDF drafts

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

A Madcap employee would tell you you should use Central instead... ;)

Other than that, I don't think there's a way to change settings in the Flare project to allow multiple reviewers to add comments at the same time, but that's because of what a PDF is rather than a limitation of Flare.
You should still be able to do it on a shared drive, but you'd need to ensure that the reviews are serial rather than in parallel, so Reviewer A reviews it and saves it to the shared drive, THEN Reviewer B does the same, then after that Reviewer C does their review. They can't all have the document open at the same time, and if they save they'd risk overwriting the other reviewers' comments.

I can't remember, but I think somewhere in Acrobat PRO there may be some way to merge PDFs, but I don't have it to hand at the moment so I can't check (and that doesn't matter anyway if you don't happen to have Acrobat Pro rather than just Reader).
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx