Set Java path in Flare?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.

Set Java path in Flare?

Postby Carlsen on Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:16 am

Hi All,

The company I work for recently uninstalled Oracle Java from our machines, and now Flare is not able to build SVG images. In Flare 2020, it looks like it now supports OpenJDK. However, my company is using the Amazon Corretto version of OpenJDK, and Flare doesn't seem to be finding it. Plus, I've seen in other threads some confusion about whether Flare requires 32-bit or 64-bit Java, despite what some error messages say.

So questions:
1. Can you set the Java path somewhere in Flare?
2. Does Flare require the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Java?

Here are the errors I receive, depending on which version of Flare I use:
F12_SVG.png

F2020_SVG.png

Thanks,
Josh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carlsen
Propeller Head

Re: Set Java path in Flare?

Postby robdocsmith on Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:28 pm

Hi Josh,

Is this a system thing rather than Flare? Just wondering if the sys path for Java isn't set right (possibly still looking in the Oracle folder) so it's finding the wrong version of Java, or not finding it at all.
In a command prompt what do you get if you type "where java"?
You might need to set your JAVA_HOME environment variable to point to the new install for your Java.

Cheers,

Rob
robdocsmith
Sr. Propeller Head

Postby Carlsen on Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:31 pm

Hi Rob,

All of my system variables seem to be set correctly. Do you know if Flare uses the system variables? Or does it rely on something else to find Java?

(By the way, it took me a while to respond because every time I post to the Flare forums I somehow end up on a spam list and it won't let me post for a while.)

Thanks,
Josh
Carlsen
Propeller Head

Postby robdocsmith on Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:51 pm

Hi Josh,

I've no idea to be honest. I know I've tried to integrate with different Java components before and had issues. MIght be worth chasing through Flare support to see if there's a config file you can adjust to get things to work for you, or switch out installed components to your preferred ones.

Cheers,
Rob
robdocsmith
Sr. Propeller Head

Postby rogersm on Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:03 am

Hi Josh,

Having a similar issue so just wondering if you got it resolved? I cannot view svg files in Flare. Even though it appears I have Java installed, Flare prompts me to install Java using that pop up.

thanks,
mark
rogersm
Propeller Head

Return to Printed Documentation Targets