Repeating a Heading in a Page Layout Column

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
Flareon
Propeller Head

Repeating a Heading in a Page Layout Column

Post by Flareon »

Hi,

I have a page layout for PDF output that contains one frame split into 3 columns. When the text from one column overflows on to the next column, I'd like to repeat the heading for that section of text with (contd) written after the heading. At the moment the widowed text at the top of the column doesn't look good and needs the header repeating above it. How do I do this?

I've attached a screenshot with the text blurred out to illustrate what I mean.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flareon
Propeller Head

Re: Repeating a Heading in a Page Layout Column

Post by Flareon »

As a workaround, I've changed the page layout to 4 frames, as opposed to 1 frame with 3 columns. This fits the text onto the page better and is more readable.
robdocsmith
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by robdocsmith »

I don't think there is any way to do this in Flare beyond the obvious and hand typing in the (cont'd) text you want. You could make a "continued" class of <p> for instance that forces a column break to ensure that it sits at the top of the next column instead of potentially being dragged back to the previous column and separated from the orphan.

The only "continued" text I've seen is for tables, but that only works across page boundaries (https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare8/ ... Output.htm). If that were the case you might be able to put each chunk in a single celled table with no borders and define a repeating caption for the table. But that doesn't work across frames or columns, just pages.

Rob
Flareon
Propeller Head

Post by Flareon »

Thanks for the ideas Rob - I'll experiment with these and see what the outcome is!