TOC with Header as first heading level

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
Biowhiz
Jr. Propeller Head

TOC with Header as first heading level

Post by Biowhiz »

Hello everyone!

I'm here with another :madcap: newbie question.

My pdf output has all the topics distributed under three sections. The section name appears in the header and repeats on every page of that section.

I'd like to generate a table of contents that lists all the h1 topics in each section.

I assigned my Header style class (th) a mc-heading-level 1 and h1 topics level 2. Regardless, flare simply lists all the h1 topics but does not divide them into sections. Any ideas on how to make this happen?

Thank you so much.
doloremipsum
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: TOC with Header as first heading level

Post by doloremipsum »

I'm not certain, but a few thoughts:
  • Flare might not read the header (assuming that it comes from a page layout) when it is building the TOC - it is probably only looking at the topics themselves for heading levels.
  • If you have Use TOC depth for heading levels enabled in the target, Flare is probably helpfully upgrading all of your h1s to mc-heading-level 1 when you build, because they're at the top levels of the TOC.
  • I don't know whether the mc-heading-level property would work for th anyway, since it's a type of table cell instead of a type of paragraph... But stranger things have happened.
  • I take it that you want the section name in the header and the TOC, but not as a heading in the actual text? What I would do is create a paragraph style (e.g. p.sectionname) with mc-heading-level: 1 and display: none. Create topics with just the section names and include them in the TOC at the appropriate locations. Both the TOC and the header in the page layout should be able to use the text in that paragraph, but it won't be visible in the PDF output.
in hoc foro dolorem ipsum amamus, consectimur, adipisci volumus.
Biowhiz
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: TOC with Header as first heading level

Post by Biowhiz »

Thanks Doloremipsum! That worked like a charm! :D