Words that end in (s)

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
StormCloud79
Propeller Head

Words that end in (s)

Post by StormCloud79 »

Hello

Within my content I have a line that finishes with site(s)
Capture1.PNG
However on the PDF output it puts the (s) on to the next line which looks rubbish. Is there any way I can stop it doing this please?
Capture2.PNG
I made some adjustments to stop hyphenated words in PDFs thought this might also work for these words too but appears not.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Words that end in (s)

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Perhaps rewrite it as "...site or sites."? I don't generally like sticking optional letters in brackets like this (my pet hate is (s)he - which makes my skin crawl!) because it's impossible to read out loud.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
StormCloud79
Propeller Head

Post by StormCloud79 »

Thanks, I'll just go with that as sometimes trying to sort a weird Flare issue is more trouble than its worth!
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Flare cannot "know" semantically, as a human can, that "site(s)" means "one or more sites". It just sees the open parenthesis, which (I assume) it's been programmed to consider a suitable place to break to a new line if needed.

I tend to do something similar to what Choccie suggests. I write phrases such as "... one or more something-or-others", to avoid the "(s)" formation. I also think this approach is better for localization. Whereas in English we can form a plural by the addition of "s" or "es", plurals in other languages might have quite different spellings altogether, or perhaps are formed by the addition of prefixes rather than suffixes.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Post by Psider »

To add to the "what I do instead" list. :)

I tend to write the plural and assume users can understand it would apply for the singular case as well.

Sometimes depending on context I'll use variations "enter the address for each required site", "enter the address for all required sites", "enter the address for one or more required sites". Or if it's important to distguish between several options "enter the address for site 1, or site 2 or both".