Text not wrapping in print output/PDF [FIXED]

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
M33R4
Sr. Propeller Head

Text not wrapping in print output/PDF [FIXED]

Post by M33R4 »

Help please :?:

Text wrap is not working in my print output as follows:
pdf_no text wrap.PNG
Any ideas please[/color] :?:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by M33R4 on Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Newbie to MadCap Flare
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: No text wrap in print output/PDF

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

What's wrong with what you've shown us? I can't see the problem.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
M33R4
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by M33R4 »

ChoccieMuffin wrote:What's wrong with what you've shown us? I can't see the problem.
I want Sub-categories to be on the same line.
pdf_no text wrap.PNG
This problem is also happening in the body as follows, where I want the word clinician to be on one line:[/color]
pdf_no text wrap_2.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Newbie to MadCap Flare
Chicago_HPT
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Chicago_HPT »

Hi M33R4. It looks like you want to control the hyphenation. Check out MadCap's extensive help topic on hyphenation and see if any of the options there can help you out. http://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare201 ... nation.htm

I hope that helps,
-jeff
Chicago_HPT
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Chicago_HPT »

Quick note: If you want, one way to cascade hyphenation rules to most, if not all, styles all at once is to set the hyphenation on the body tag/class. Since pretty much all content sits inside the body, stuff like p and h1 tags inherit properties from body.

-jeff
M33R4
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by M33R4 »

Have taken your advice and applied mc-hyphenation - never to :

body - after publishing to Print output I was still having the problem
paragraph - again after publishing to Print output I was still having the same problem
H1 (heading 1) - again after publishing to Print output I was still having the same problem

:cry:
Newbie to MadCap Flare
Chicago_HPT
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Chicago_HPT »

Hm. Just setting it on the body element should have done the trick. Do you know if you set it for the Web (Default) medium, the Print medium, or for something else?

Web (default) should cascade down to Print and should work for both. But if you set it for a different medium (e.g. tablet) then it might not cascade to Print. For example, if I open my CSS editor in Advanced Mode and display both Web and Print mediums, here is what I see in my CSS:
flareCSSEditor-Adv-mc-hyphenate01.png
M33R4
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by M33R4 »

My stylesheet is set same as yours:
stylesheet_mediums.png
Newbie to MadCap Flare
M33R4
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by M33R4 »

:idea: The mc-hyphenate -never has finally worked.
I had to go onto my topic pages and manually highlight cells/td in my tables and set Hyphenate to never.
I also had to do this for my paragraphs.
Sadly, simply adding mc-hyphenate -never to the stylesheet's body, paragraph etc wasn't enough, although that would have been ideal.

Here is the header now:
pdf_no text wrap_4.PNG

Here is the body now:
pdf_no text wrap_3.PNG
Last edited by M33R4 on Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Newbie to MadCap Flare
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Re: No text wrap in print output/PDF [FIXED]

Post by Psider »

I notice you have a pdf medium as well. Did you also change that, assuming that's what you use for the pdf output? Setting it only for print medium would then only apply when printing a web page, if I remember correctly.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

If you have a Madcap Tech Support level, I suggest you contact them, because the hyphenation rule set on body SHOULD work. They may be able to spot if there's something odd in your stylesheet. Definitely worth contacting them.
M33R4
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by M33R4 »

Psider wrote:I notice you have a pdf medium as well. Did you also change that, assuming that's what you use for the pdf output? Setting it only for print medium would then only apply when printing a web page, if I remember correctly.
Yes my PDF and Print had the same settings.
Newbie to MadCap Flare
M33R4
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: No text wrap in print output-/PDF [FIXED]

Post by M33R4 »

ChoccieMuffin wrote:If you have a Madcap Tech Support level, I suggest you contact them, because the hyphenation rule set on body SHOULD work. They may be able to spot if there's something odd in your stylesheet. Definitely worth contacting them.
I contacted them the same day I posted on here. I sent them my ZIP file as they requested - they are still looking into it. From experience, they are a bit slow?
Newbie to MadCap Flare
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: No text wrap in print output-/PDF [FIXED]

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

M33R4 wrote:
ChoccieMuffin wrote:If you have a Madcap Tech Support level, I suggest you contact them, because the hyphenation rule set on body SHOULD work. They may be able to spot if there's something odd in your stylesheet. Definitely worth contacting them.
I contacted them the same day I posted on here. I sent them my ZIP file as they requested - they are still looking into it. From experience, they are a bit slow?
Sometimes it can take a while so definitely worth posting in the forums as well, as you did. You've got a workround, but they should be able to identify an improvement to your stylesheet to make it more robust.
EileenP
Propeller Head

Re: Text not wrapping in print output/PDF [FIXED]

Post by EileenP »

I am having the opposite problem: I want hyphenation and have configured it, for both <body> and <p>, and for both default and for print output, in my CSS. Yet hyphenation is not happening in tables.
I tried what was suggested here and selected the <td> in a table and specifically set the hyphenation there. Still no hyphenation. Maddening!
Any suggestions?
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Text not wrapping in print output/PDF [FIXED]

Post by Nita Beck »

EileenP wrote:I am having the opposite problem: I want hyphenation and have configured it, for both <body> and <p>, and for both default and for print output, in my CSS. Yet hyphenation is not happening in tables.
I tried what was suggested here and selected the <td> in a table and specifically set the hyphenation there. Still no hyphenation. Maddening!
Any suggestions?
Might I suggest that you start a new post, given that your question is different from the original question. That may help others in future who are seeking the same solution that you are. Thanks.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!