ToC Chapter to Heading Space

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
Shredder
Propeller Head

ToC Chapter to Heading Space

Post by Shredder »

Hi everyone,

I need to increase the space between the chapter number and the title in the ToC. I have been fiddling around, but haven't found a solution yet. Does anyone have a solution? Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
robdocsmith
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: ToC Chapter to Heading Space

Post by robdocsmith »

Hi,

Autonumbering formats are specified usually in the heading style in a property like the below:

Code: Select all

mc-auto-number-format: 'GH:{n}.{n+} ';
The spacing is set in the autonumber string. Spaces in this string don't collapse into a single space like they do in normal html, so you could change the definition to something like 'GH:{n}.{n+} '; to add a few extra spaces between number and text. These spaces will appear in both the heading and related TOC entry.

Cheers,

Rob
Shredder
Propeller Head

Post by Shredder »

robdocsmith wrote:Hi,

Autonumbering formats are specified usually in the heading style in a property like the below:

mc-auto-number-format: 'GH:{n}.{n+} ';
The spacing is set in the autonumber string. Spaces in this string don't collapse into a single space like they do in normal html, so you could change the definition to something like 'GH:{n}.{n+} '; to add a few extra spaces between number and text. These spaces will appear in both the heading and related TOC entry.

Cheers,

Rob
Okay, that's strange. My headings have:
{
mc-auto-number-position: outside-head;
mc-auto-number-offset: 20mm;
padding-left: 20mm;
}

The padding-left and the mc-auto-number-offset must be the same to control the space, so I presumed it would be the same case for the ToC. Putting extra spaces is a bit, well, not good.
robdocsmith
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by robdocsmith »

Well, I've not worried about lining up the headings at a particular indent before, but I can see how that would be advantageous, particularly in a TOC. I saw that spaces in the number-format became hard spaces and that was good enough for my purposes. The width of the gap varied proportionately with the font of both the heading and TOC paragraph and meant I could control the spacing in a single location.

If I include:

mc-auto-number-offset: 10mm;
padding-left: 10mm;
in my H1 heading and:

mc-auto-number-offset: 5mm;
padding-left: 0mm;
in my p.TOC1 style, I get the appropriate indents between numbers and text (10mm for H1 and 5mm for corresponding TOC entries).

Rob
Shredder
Propeller Head

Post by Shredder »

I was unable to replicate that. So instead I increased the padding-left and mc-auto-number-offset incrementally:

p.TOC1
{

}

p.TOC2
{
	padding-left: 3mm;
	mc-auto-number-offset: 6mm;
}

p.TOC3
{
	padding-left: 6mm;
	mc-auto-number-offset: 9mm;
}

p.TOC4
{
	padding-left: 9mm;
	mc-auto-number-offset: 12mm;
}

p.TOC5
{
	padding-left: 12mm;
}

This gave me:
toc-new.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.