Build hangs at "Collecting TOC and Index Data"

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
claypool
Propeller Head

Build hangs at "Collecting TOC and Index Data"

Post by claypool »

Good Morning, all -

I am trying to build a PDF output that will ultimately be very large (4000 + pages). Every time I build, the process hangs up at "Collecting TOC and Index Data". I have built an HTML5 output using the same content, with no issues, so none of the files seem to be corrupt. I don't actually have any index terms in the files, either, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I've tried deleting the Analyzer, Output, and Users folders to clean up the project, but still no luck. Has anyone experienced this issue and found a work around? I've contacted Flare support as well, but hoping to get a fix as fast as possible, so thought I'd check in here as well!

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
Holly
robdocsmith
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Build hangs at "Collecting TOC and Index Data"

Post by robdocsmith »

Phew 4000 pages!

Since it builds to HTML, and assuming the content for both targets is the same, is there some difference in TOC depth between online and PDF that might point to the issue? A heading being captured by PDF TOC that isn't by HTML TOC?
My next guess would be it's a layout issue. Flare might be hanging trying to put things on a page layout (or if you've never built the PDF before with the page layout file itself).
I suspect the only way to troubleshoot it would be to copy the project, delete a section and try to build. Try building the first half only, or the second half, then narrow down where the issue might be.
Can you tell from build logs how far it gets through the document?
If there isn't a log, can you tell by what is in the Output/<username>/Temporary/<path to target> folder how far it got?

Rob