System.PageCount variable in topic page

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
Jim Casey
Jr. Propeller Head

System.PageCount variable in topic page

Post by Jim Casey »

I have a Flare project with PDF output.

On the cover page I have to display the total number of pages.

I have a complicated table in the cover page topic which I put in the body frame of the page, not in the page layout. I did this because it is so much easier to construct tables in a topic page versus a frame in a page layout.

The table looks like this:
ProjectCoverPage1.png
The table in the cover page contains the System.PageCount variable. In the PDF output, this variable always displays as 1.

Here is the code:

Code: Select all

<td class="TableStyle-CoverPageTitleBlock_Project-BodyE-Column1-Body1">
                            <p class="TitleBlock6pt">TOTAL PGS</p>
                            <p class="TitleBlock7pt"><MadCap:variable name="System.PageCount" class="TitleBlock7pt" />
                            </p>
                        </td>
I use the PageCount variable in the header of the rest of the document, and it works as expected.

Is it correct that system variables work only in page layouts, not in topics?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Casey
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: System.PageCount variable in topic page

Post by Jim Casey »

If system variables must be in a frame in a page layout, is there an easy way to get this table into a page layout?

I can see that HTML in page layouts has to have this syntax with everything preceded by xhtml:

Code: Select all

<xhtml:table xhtml:style="width: 100%;border-spacing: 0px 0px;border-collapse: collapse;margin-left: 0;margin-right: auto;">
                            <xhtml:col />
                            <xhtml:col xhtml:style="width: 1.6in;" />
                            <xhtml:tbody>
                                <xhtml:tr xhtml:style="height: 13pt;">
Obviously that is maddening to work with. I use Notepad++ to work with it when necessary.