PDF Target Formatting

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
mannyvelgara
Jr. Propeller Head

PDF Target Formatting

Post by mannyvelgara »

Apologies if this topic is covered somewhere in the forums. I tried searching with no success. First off the project I am working on prevents me from sharing the source content due to some controls beyond my control.

The project I am working on has 1 PDF target with multiple images and tables across multiple pages. It has 8 chapters and each chapter is required to end on an even number regardless if there is no content; making an even page potentially say "This Page Intentionally Left Blank". Some chapters are larger than others; so in an effort to ensure smooth page breaks I have created individual chapter targets to see how the page breaks look. This prevents me from having to wait for an entire target to be complied. This project takes about 40-50 minutes to compile. My problem is that when I compare the text in a chapter target to the full target it seems that the program is generating two different spacings between the words in the text between the two targets; thus creating different page breaks than what appear in the main final target. So my effort to use the individual chapter targets is meaningless since the final full target will be different. If there is no way to correct this then I am relegated to waiting 40-50 minutes between each page break tweak. :( Anyone out there have any idea what is going on and what I might be able to do to correct this? Thank you. 8)
doloremipsum
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: PDF Target Formatting

Post by doloremipsum »

So the problem is with spacing between the words themselves? That sounds like you might be using different stylesheets in your chapter targets compared to your main target. If you're using different stylesheets and/or page layouts, you should change all of the targets so they use the same ones as the main target.

If all of your targets are using the same stylesheet and page layout, I'm at a loss for what could be causing the problem. Try changing the TOC on your main target to one of the chapters to see whether that fixes the issue, then compare the main target to the chapter target to see what the difference might be.

By the way, from previous experience it's probably those multi-page tables which are causing the target to slow down majorly! Not something you can solve obviously.
in hoc foro dolorem ipsum amamus, consectimur, adipisci volumus.
mannyvelgara
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: PDF Target Formatting

Post by mannyvelgara »

doloremipsum wrote:So the problem is with spacing between the words themselves? That sounds like you might be using different stylesheets in your chapter targets compared to your main target. If you're using different stylesheets and/or page layouts, you should change all of the targets so they use the same ones as the main target.

If all of your targets are using the same stylesheet and page layout, I'm at a loss for what could be causing the problem. Try changing the TOC on your main target to one of the chapters to see whether that fixes the issue, then compare the main target to the chapter target to see what the difference might be.

By the way, from previous experience it's probably those multi-page tables which are causing the target to slow down majorly! Not something you can solve obviously.
Thanks for the help. If I copy the main target (which is what I did) and then strip the newly copied main target of the non-essential chapters to only leave the chapter I want to review, would that affect the stylesheets and/or page layouts? I would assume it inherited them.

Interesting about changing the TOC. I'll give it a try. But I think I may have done that with my co-worker already.

Yeah, the tables suck, but they are required.

Again, thanks for your help.