Some beginner questions ...

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
Deecey
Jr. Propeller Head

Some beginner questions ...

Post by Deecey »

Sorry if these questions have been asked before ... I'm relatively new here and have been trying to hunt down some answers on these "very newbie" questions. If you could point me to some threads that might have already covered these questions, I'd appreciate it!

I've recently converted about 30 chapters (over 1000 topics) from Framemaker to Flare and have worked out MOST of the issues thus far. I chose Flare because I wanted to keep the Framemaker output open as an option, but also needed Online Help and HTML output as well.

I'm now trying to work out the output back from Flare to FrameMaker and have some questions ...

[*]First ... is there a way to set Flare up to generate a two-column FrameMaker document, or will I need to handle that in FrameMaker after the FM docs are generated?

[*]Secondly ... is there a way to turn off hyphenation for all styles in Flare (or again, will that have to be addressed in FrameMaker?)

[*]Third ... I'm a little unsure of the best way to control image sizes for printed output (such as large screen shots in a two-column output). Should I preset the DPI settings of large images, or is there a way to do it automatically so that images don't exceed the column width?

[*]Fourth .. autonumbering. Numbered lists seem to work fine, but bulleted lists come in with a text character (a quote mark in my case) rather than a bullet. I"m a little vague as to the correlation between Flare and FM here. Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

Thanks, would appreciate any help you can offer!

That's it for starters!
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Some beginner questions ...

Post by RamonS »

Hi Deecey, welcome to the forums! I cannot give answres to most of your questions (I'm never extensively used Frame), but there was a discussion a few days ago that might give you some ideas in regards to your third question. See here: http://forums.madcapsoftware.com/viewto ... =10&t=5600
bonnie
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by bonnie »

[*]Secondly ... is there a way to turn off hyphenation for all styles in Flare (or again, will that have to be addressed in FrameMaker?)
So far (Flare 3.1), there is no way to turn off hyphenation in Flare. You will have to control it in the FrameMaker output. My co-worker found the solution for doing this at the following blog: http://www.itauthor.eu/2007/07/05/frame ... pdate-tip/, which explains how to globally change the hyphenation property in all paragraphs of all files in a FrameMaker book target.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

Question1:
Unfortunately Flare does not support multiple columns.

But Blaze does. That means the next version of Flare might, as well. We can only hope...
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.