HTML Help output Images and MS Word Images driving me nuts

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
forfear
Propellus Maximus

HTML Help output Images and MS Word Images driving me nuts

Post by forfear »

I am finalizing a converted word document into Flare.
It consists of Screenshots and steps

I'll produce HTML Help and Print output

This is what's driving me nuts.

I've reset the Sizes for all images in the Flare project after conversion (all 40 of them) a good finger exercise i imagine. ...my html help output screens were looking squashed. so i guess it was the explicit image sizing. done.

I've updated just two new PNG screen shots completely in Flare.
When I generate output in Word.
I have these two pictures that have been blown out of proportion compared to all the other images.
Its driving me nuts.

I check the HTML code...its clean. I reset size on the two images so no explicit resizing. I check the picture resolution 420 x 320 on these images and compare with the others, they are clean.

Is DPI a metadata setting that i can change in a tool or in Flare.

If resolution has no affect in Flare. Is DPI the cause of this anomaly. All my other screen shots have a dpi setting of 299.
My newly captured screenshtos in ScreenshotCaptor seem tohave their png metadata set to 92 dpi.

DPI it appears has no affect whatsover on the image resolution. I guess it applies only to print.

How do i edit DPI metadata?
If you submit your bug feedback request here, the more likely it'll get fixed or included in a future release
Open Utilities PageLayout Resizer for Flare/Blaze | Batch builder
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Re: HTML Help output Images and MS Word Images driving me nuts

Post by forfear »

If you submit your bug feedback request here, the more likely it'll get fixed or included in a future release
bobmoon
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by bobmoon »

related topic posts on this issue

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4052&p=20825&hilit=dpi#p20820
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3786&p=19350&hilit=dpi#p19350
The first link above is not valid anymore. Does someone have a correct link to a summary of this issue?

I'm trying to create Word output from Flare files, but my screen captures are too large in Word. The original post mentions checking the HTML. What am I looking for? My images have no explicit width and height specified, so I guess it's picking up size information from my PNG files? I think these were originally captured with SnagIt.

Thanks for any pointers.
Bob
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Post by forfear »

bobmoon wrote:I'm trying to create Word output from Flare files, but my screen captures are too large in Word. The original post mentions checking the HTML. What am I looking for? My images have no explicit width and height specified, so I guess it's picking up size information from my PNG files? I think these were originally captured with SnagIt.

Thanks for any pointers.
Bob

If you have Snagit, try setting a higher DPI of your images. Open your image in your screencapture software, Capture is decent as well. check any options that let you set Resolution.

The ccurrent resolution of your screenshots might be 96dpi. change that to something like 200dpi, and see how the word output looks.
After generating the word output, you'll notice that the pictures that have a higher dpi will have shrunk accordingly in word output.
bobmoon
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by bobmoon »

Thanks for the summary, that worked perfectly. My PNG files were captured at 96 dpi, and when I change them to 150 dpi, they look great in both online and print.

For the record, SnagIt and Corel PhotoPaint don't seem to allow changing the dpi of an image without changing the overall dimensions. If I changed the dpi, it scaled the pixel dimensions too, which looks bad in online output. With PhotoPaint, my 55 kb PNG file bloated up to 377 kb.

I tried both IrfanView and the GIMP and each allows you to change the dpi without affecting the overall image dimensions and file size.

IrfanView has a nifty batch process mode that allowed me to change the dpi for 92 files in about 3 seconds.

Bob
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Post by forfear »

bobmoon wrote:Thanks for the summary, that worked perfectly. My PNG files were captured at 96 dpi, and when I change them to 150 dpi, they look great in both online and print.

For the record, SnagIt and Corel PhotoPaint don't seem to allow changing the dpi of an image without changing the overall dimensions. If I changed the dpi, it scaled the pixel dimensions too, which looks bad in online output. With PhotoPaint, my 55 kb PNG file bloated up to 377 kb.
Hi Baby moon, some correction
PhotoPaint allows you to Batch Process the DPI
Snagit allows you to batch process the DPI setting in each file as well.
DPI.png
Capture 2 also allows you to set DPI in each file
Flare3.png
Snagit 9 moved the commands around, so i was a bit lost. anyway its in IMage > Filters> Resolution(DPI)
Capture's DPI settings are usaully set in the image Properties, Print Format tab
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Post by forfear »

also DPI is usually independent of image Resolution

Dots Per Inch
is independent of
Image Pixel Resolution
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

More specifically, Pixels = Dots. Dots Per Inch controls how closely the dots are placed in print output. It's not relevant for online output - in online formats, that is controlled by the user's screen resolution.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
bobmoon
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by bobmoon »

Hi Baby moon, some correction
PhotoPaint allows you to Batch Process the DPI
Snagit allows you to batch process the DPI setting in each file as well.
Snagit 9 moved the commands around, so i was a bit lost. anyway its in IMage > Filters> Resolution(DPI)
BTW, that's "bobmoon" or just Bob. :D

You're right about SnagIt 9. I hadn't seen that option for setting the Resolution/DPI. Their option for batch conversion can be found using SnagIt button > Convert Images. The file size is comparable to the original and to the output I got from Irfranview.

Also, I mistyped about the Corel product I tested. We have Paint Shop Pro (not PhotoPaint). In PSP, I cannot find a way to change the DPI using a batch process.

Thanks,
Bob