togglers in UL list problem

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
ChrisK
Jr. Propeller Head

togglers in UL list problem

Post by ChrisK »

I am trying to figure out how to get the printed output to match the webhelp layout. Here's the problem :
I have a ul list where the first bullet line is a toggler that opens the paragraph items underneath it. The Webhelp shows paragraph items nicely aligned with the first character of the bullet line, but the printed output shifts the paragraph item about 0.25 in to the right. I then created a p.list style to force the margins to 0 to no avail...

Code: Select all

p.list
{
padding-left: 0px;
margin: 0px;
}
What am I missing here ? How can I make the printed output align paragraphs just like in the webhelp ?

Christine
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Re: togglers in UL list problem

Post by KevinDAmery »

The Toggler is probably adding some horizontal spacing.

What I would be inclined to do would be to duplicate the content of that first bullet, one version with the toggler and one without. Then apply a Screen Only condition to the toggler version and a Print Only condition to the non-toggler version. That would eliminate the issue, I think.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
ChrisK
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by ChrisK »

Is this how the Flare help was done ? It uses the same kind of togglers in lists ...

Christine
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

I don't know - we'd have to ask Madcap's tech writer (maybe Richard can find out for us...)
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

If you click on the toggler in the stylesheet, set the medium to "print", and set the margin-left property for the toggler, does that work?

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
ChrisK
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by ChrisK »

Nope. I had already set the toggler margin-left to 0 with no effect.

Oddly enough, I have to set the p.list left-margin to -0.25in to get the proper alignment, but it looks more like a tweek and not the proper way to do it. There's something about the nested styles that I am not doing and I just can't find it.

I'll keep looking into it.

Thanks

Christine
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Normally I'd say you need a complex selector for a toggler inside an li, but if you're outputting to Word then I don't know if it'll understand the complex selector. A negative value is acceptable for a margin -- it just means you're positioning it to the left of the parent tag's margin. So it's fine, so long as you don't put too much of a negative value, since that would take you off the page.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.