Extra Pages in Printed HTML Topic

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
Boone
Propeller Head

Extra Pages in Printed HTML Topic

Post by Boone »

Printing or Print Previewing an HTML topic, either from within FLARE via the "Preview Compiled Topic" button or from within the compiled .CHM, always prints an extra heading page before printing the topic. What am I doing wrong?
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Extra Pages in Printed HTML Topic

Post by LTinker68 »

Is the heading on one page and the content on another, or is the heading printing twice, once without the content and once with?

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
Boone
Propeller Head

Post by Boone »

The heading is printed twice. The heading prints on the first without the content, then prints on the next page with the content. Furthermore, the format of the heading on the first page is different than the format on the second page. The format on the second page is correct. This may be because the topic headings in my project are not using the standard H1 style. They are using a customized heading style that came in with the RoboHelp sources from which they originated.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Hmmm. Do you have a topic inside a book and the book is pointing to that same topic? If that were the case then I'd think that the topic would print twice (once for the book-linked reference to the topic, and once for the topic-link reference to the topic). But that wouldn't explain why it would happen if you tried printing a single topic from the Flare Preview window.

In one of the topics, try switching the RH-style heading tag to the default H1 tag in Flare, build the output, and try printing that modified topic. If it prints correctly, then there's something in that RH-style that's causing the hiccup. Or the print media format of the RH style.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

One of the headings may have the page-break-before attribute assigned to it. If there is no body text under the previous heading, you would get a page with a heading but no body copy.

I agree with Lisa that you should take a look at the heading styles. I might even go so far as consolidating the RH styles into standard heading styles to make your stylesheet simpler.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Post by wclass »

Also have a look at the options on the "Printed Output" tab of your target. Is "Inject headings for unlinked books" set? If it is, clear it and try again. This option is really only useful when used in conjunction with the setting to use the TOC depth to create heading levels.
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne
Boone
Propeller Head

Post by Boone »

Thanks for everyone's suggestions - they got me onto the right track. The custom RH heading style did indeed have "page-break-before" set to "always" under print support, but that was only part of the problem. I had to also change "mc-heading-level" under Print Support for my RH style from 0 to 1 and for the h1 style from 1 to 0. Presto! The problem is fixed.
I actually would like to change my RH heading style to the standard h1 style, but don't see an easy way to do it in my 900+ individual files. I was looking at using search and replace to change my RH "Topic Heading" to "h1". I could easily enough replace the start tag for Topic Heading, but it's a paragraph style, so I wouldn't be able to globally replace the ending tag since it's </p>, which is used everywhere. Got any ideas?