Running H/F without chapter number?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
JupiterJones
Propeller Head

Running H/F without chapter number?

Post by JupiterJones »

Hello,

I have configured auto-numbering for my h1-h4 print headings.
For the Word-Target I would like to insert the h1 heading in the header using the "Running H/F" variable. This works fine, but I can't find a way to prevent Flare from also inserting the chapter number (including the number offset) in front of the heading text.

Is it possible to just insert the heading text without the number?

Thanks,
JJ
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Re: Running H/F without chapter number?

Post by doc_guy »

Is the chapter number part of the heading? The running H/F is going to pull whatever text is part of the heading. If the chapter number is part of the heading, it is going to get pulled.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

wclass
Propellus Maximus

Post by wclass »

When Flare generates headings with auto-numbering into Word, it actually hard codes the number, which is a pity. This means that the whole line including the number is picked up in the running header.

There is a work-around, but it needs some post-processing. I often generate Word documents without auto-numbering, and then attach a template, that I have already set up, that has the heading numbering set using Word styles. The styleref option in the Header will only pick up the text and not the number if the style is created with Word numbering.

And for the feature request ... What would be nice is if Flare could create heading styles with standard Word numbering settings (of course, if anyone can create workable numbering styles there will be rejoicing across the land).
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne
JupiterJones
Propeller Head

Post by JupiterJones »

Thanks for your help!

Yes, the template work-around would be an option, but I would like to avoid post-processing - as long as possible...

Is there a way to influence the auto-number offset of the running H/F, i.e. use a different offset than for the heading style?
My h1 style has quite a large offset of 2 cm, which looks pretty ugly when pulled into the header...

Yes, would be a very nice feature for future versions!

Best regards,
JJ
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Post by forfear »

I've also wondered the same how the Madcap techdocs team put together the Flare Getting Started guide in PDF with header numbering separated from the actual Headings.

One trick is to
- assign a ChapNum character style in the Autonumber tab for the heading styles.
- For Print medium, set the chapnum character to white and very small text, that would make it almost invisible.
You do this, bcasue if you have chapter nunbers for online outputs and none for print outputs, simply deleting the autonumbering format does not work, it will inherit the settings from the default online outputs.
If you submit your bug feedback request here, the more likely it'll get fixed or included in a future release
Open Utilities PageLayout Resizer for Flare/Blaze | Batch builder