PDF filename vs PDF title - spaces vs underscores

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
mattf
Sr. Propeller Head

PDF filename vs PDF title - spaces vs underscores

Post by mattf »

Hi all,
Spaces in my PDF file name are causing build failures on Unix (we think). If I put underscores in the file name we expect the problem to go away, but the "title" bar of the opened PDF displays the file name and I don't want underscores showing in my titles. Is there some way in Flare to specify a title that is different from the filename? I only see one place to name the PDF file, and it's on the MyMSWord target file. As far as I know this gets used for both the file name and the title. Any help appreciated. Thanks,
Matt
Matt F
You learn something new every day if you're not careful.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: PDF filename vs PDF title - spaces vs underscores

Post by LTinker68 »

mattf wrote:Is there some way in Flare to specify a title that is different from the filename?
There is, but that's only for web output. PDF and Word files show the file name, but that's a function of their programs and nothing that Flare can override.

Another alternative is to not use underscores but to use a mix of upper- and lowercase letters. For instance, ProgramXYZUserGuide.pdf. Or to use underscores with a mix of characters, such as ProgramXYZ_UserGuide.pdf.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

If you purchase Adobe Acrobat you can change the file name as a document setting, and you can set whether to display the filename or the document name. This suggests this is a setting MadCap could implement when the PDF is built. I'd recommend a feature request for now, with a work around being changing the settings in the PDF file itself using Acrobat.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

mattf
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by mattf »

Thanks for the info, folks.
doc_guy, I think the feature request is a good idea.
As always, solutions that require post-build tweaking don't work for me -- the whole point is automation -- I actually have Acrobat but changing the title in post-processing is not an option.
Thanks again,
-Matt
Matt F
You learn something new every day if you're not careful.