Problem with xref {para}

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
NickC
Propeller Head

Problem with xref {para}

Post by NickC »

I'm converting from Flare (3.1) to Word 2003 and am stuck because all the xrefs which use the property mc-format {para} don't work. The {page} property is active in the Word output (but incidently does not work when I generate PDF...).

Thanks in advance for your wisdom and experience!
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Re: Problem with xref {para}

Post by forfear »

NickC wrote:The {page} property is active in the Word output (but incidently does not work when I generate PDF...).

Thanks in advance for your wisdom and experience!
Hi!
In what way does it not work? What does the PDF output of a sample cross-ref look like. What does the output look like in Word.

In PDF, all crossrefs and any hyperlinks are not clickable. Its just a standard static PDF file.
Only Acrobat can do that.
If you submit your bug feedback request here, the more likely it'll get fixed or included in a future release
Open Utilities PageLayout Resizer for Flare/Blaze | Batch builder
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

forfear wrote:In PDF, all crossrefs and any hyperlinks are not clickable. Its just a standard static PDF file.
Only Acrobat can do that.
I can get xref links working in Word and PDF.

First off, the xref {para} format doesn't create a hyperlink in the Word output (I think it should really), but using the {page} format works fine - i.e. page numbers are clickable.

I also got these xref links working fine in the PDF, by creating the PDF using Word 2007 and the PDF add-in.

I was unable to test it by making the PDF with Acrobat. From memory, if you print the Word doc to the Acrobat PDF printer, then the links won't work - they will only work if you make the PDF using the Acrobat PDF maker (i.e. use the toolbar icon).
Unfortunately, I'm not able to test this on my PC as PDF maker doesn't work (it goes missing) when you use Acrobat 6 and Word 2007 together.
DurtyMat
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by DurtyMat »

I am having the same issue with my xref style in print outputs.
Flare: I bought it ... so that means I can break it, right?
NickC
Propeller Head

Post by NickC »

Dave Lee wrote:I can get xref links working in Word and PDF.

First off, the xref {para} format doesn't create a hyperlink in the Word output (I think it should really), but using the {page} format works fine - i.e. page numbers are clickable.

I also got these xref links working fine in the PDF, by creating the PDF using Word 2007 and the PDF add-in.
Dave, do I understand you just got the {page} link to work or, did you also get the xref {para} link to be a real clickable link?

I agree that the xref {para} link should be a real hyperlink in Word (and therefore PDF).

On a related point, the mc-format seems pretty buggy. The formats when applied don't always filter through to Word (2003) output. This is true for bolded text. I also tried putting double then straight quotes around the para text or trying to change the text color. Everything previews well but no dice when generated ...
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

NickC wrote:Dave, do I understand you just got the {page} link to work or, did you also get the xref {para} link to be a real clickable link?
Yep, only the {page} style generated a hyperlink in the word doc, the {para} style doesn't work.
kristil
Propeller Head

Post by kristil »

I emailed tech support about {para} not making links in Word targets. A feature request was added for it.