Table sizing in print

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
Patt
Propeller Head

Table sizing in print

Post by Patt »

I am completely mystified by the appearence of tables as they are output into Word. Here's what I want. A simple 2 column table where the first column is 1.25 inches and the second column is 4.75 inches. No matter what I try an set in Flare, the table resizes to the content when I publish to Word. Yes, I've set the column width, but it still resizes. I set the table width and got closer but one table outputs as 6" and the other one as 7" even though in Flare they both had their Table width set to 6". I have hundreds of these tables and what I really want is to set a style that will output to Word as I've describe above but I can't see to figure out how to do that either.
Could someone please walk me through the steps. It can't be as hard as I'm finding it.

Thanks,
Patt
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Re: Table sizing in print

Post by wclass »

If you set the table width, and the width of the columns, then tables come through to Word OK. In fact, you usually only need to set the width of the first column and the second one automatically fills to the table size.

Through the GUI, you can set tables in 2 main steps:
  • Insert a table using the menu command.
  • Set you number of rows and columns, etc.
  • In the "Auto Fit Behavior" frame, set "Autofit to window" to 6 inches.
Once it is created, make sure your GUI has the show table columns ruler set. Then select the first column and set it to a specific width.

Your code should look something like this - I have a table style called "border" - you can probably add this stuff to your table style:

Code: Select all

<table style="width: 6in;" class="border">
            <col style="width: 2in;" />
            <col />
            <thead>
                <tr>
                    <th>Column 1</th>
                    <th>Column 2</th>
                </tr>
            </thead>
            <tbody>
                <tr>
                    <td>abc The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.</td>
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne
Patt
Propeller Head

Re: Table sizing in print

Post by Patt »

Thanks for your reply. I selected Autofit to Window and entered 6 in and then clicked OK. But for some reason the setting does not stay. When I reopen the table properties, the 6 inches is still in the Autofit to Window selection but Fixed Column Width is selected, not Autofit. I changed the first column width too but when I output to Word, it looks more like it's sizing to to content.
Here's the code:
<table class="table_1" style="margin-left: 0;margin-right: auto;">
<col style="width: 1.25in;" />
<col style="width: 4.75in;" />
<tr>
<td class="td_5">
<p class="TableHead">Column</p>
</td>
<td class="td_6">
<p class="TableHead">Description</p>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="td_7">
<p class="TableText_3">Baseline</p>
</td>
<td class="td_8">
<p class="TableText_3">Values from the baseline week</p>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="td_7">
<p class="TableText_3">Goal</p>
</td>
<td class="td_8">
<p class="TableText_3">Values for the projected goal</p>
</td>
</tr>
</table>

But the output looks like:
table output.gif
I changed the right margin from auto to 0 and that seemed to have done the trick.
Still don't know why the Auto Fit to Window selection won't stick but at least my output looks the way I want it to.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.