Negative property values ignored when outputting to Frame

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
Harrison73
Propeller Head

Negative property values ignored when outputting to Frame

Post by Harrison73 »

Has anyone had any success getting negative values in a Flare Stylesheet for things like text indents, spacing, alignment, etc, to translate correctly into FrameMaker? I am finding negatives always get treated/converted as 0. For example, if in my stylesheet I set "margin-bottom" for a style to 6pt, the corresponding style in my Frame output has "Space:Below Pgf" set to 6pt. However, if I set "margin-bottom" to -6pt the Frame output for "Space:Below Pgf" is 0pt. This is true for several properties I tried giving negative values to.

For a bit of context, in our regular Frame template, we have a Note and Tip styles used to display symbols representing our Note and Tip icons, and then NoteText and TipText styles to display the actual Note or Tip text. With the proper indents, and negative before/after spacing we're able to get these Note style and NoteText style s to line up next to each other. I'm simply trying to get Flare to generate Frame output similar to this, but with the negative values not getting converted, the Note icon doesn't line up with the Note text (it's too high).

Perhaps there are better ways to do this, but I'm thinking this behavior is a bug, though maybe I'm missing something.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Negative property values ignored when outputting to Frame

Post by LTinker68 »

I'm not sure if it's a bug going from Flare to Framemaker or in Framemaker not being able to recognize negative values. Because negative values are valid in CSS.

Perhaps instead of setting a negative value, you instead set positive values, but use different parameters. For instance, perhaps you set margin-bottom: 6pt for one style and padding-bottom: 12pt for the other style, or whatever combination you need to get it to work.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.