empty line between table lines

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
mitches
Propeller Head

empty line between table lines

Post by mitches »

I put snippets in individual tables to support references to common functions in the .doc product. The same functions are not always in the individual topics; so, I end up with little one row tables one after another. When put into the .doc, a blank line ends up between each entry. How do I get rid of the blank line? I tried putting in a style setting for margin-top and margin-bottom to 0px in the box for table.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: empty line between table lines

Post by LTinker68 »

If they're one row tables, then the border could be coming from the table tag, not the <td> tag.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
mitches
Propeller Head

Post by mitches »

I tried changing the table style
border-bottom none
border-bottom-style none
border-top none 0px
border-top-style none
border-top -width 0px
table-spacing 0px

None of these helped.
Do you know of a way to line up text in single rows other than using a fixed with font and counting the spaces?
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Oh, sorry. You wrote "blank line" but for some reason I thought border. The border has nothing to do with this. (So you can undo all those changes you made to the table tag. Sorry.)

It's because the MadCap snippet tag is acting as a container tag, because it's inserting the snippet as a block. The MadCap snippetBlock tag must have a default margin-below value set and there's not a way to modify it through the stylesheet. You need to insert the snippets as snippetText, not snippetBlocks. There is a trick to doing it.

If you're in a new empty <p> tag and you go to to Insert > Snippet... the snippet is inserted as a snippetBlock.

If you're in a new empty <p> tag, type a single character or hold the Shift key while pressing the spacebar (inserts a hard-coded space), then go to Insert > Snippet... the snippet is inserted as snippetText. When it does that, you can press Shift + Enter to insert a non-breaking line tag (<br /> tag) so that you can insert the next snippet. All of the snippets entered one after another this way will be contained in a single <p> tag. Once you have the last snippet in place, go back to the beginning of the <p> tag and remove the single character or hard-coded space.

Lisa
mitches
Propeller Head

Post by mitches »

I was hoping to only make changes to the snippets rather than all of the entries where the snippet is used. Any other ideas?
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

How much padding and margin did you specify for the td, tr, and table styles? In a brand new project with no values specified for those tags, the spacing isn't too bad. Maybe close to 1.5x line spacing instead of single line spacing, but that's because of the default margin values on the table tag. If you set the margin and padding for the table tag to 0, then it'll be a tad bit closer. If you set the margin values (at least for margin-top and margin-bottom) to a negative number, then it'll put the tables closer together. The value to specify depends on what size font you're using.

You'll need to test that in print output, though, since I'm not sure Word likes negative values for positioning. If it doesn't, then the best you can do is set margin and padding to 0. You should probably also set the td tag to margin and padding of 0.

Lisa
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

Just to go on a completely different tack, why not make the snippets paragraph items instead of table items. You could then create a new table in each topic and insert the snippets into the cells - that should eliminate any spacing issues. It does involve making a table each time, of course, but it would allow you more control over the formatting.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

I kind of assumed he was following a format in his tables. For example, column 1 is the function name, column 2 is the parameters, column 3 is an example. Unless he made three snippets for each command, one snippet for each cell, putting them in paragraphs in the snippets and inserting each snippet into a different cell isn't going to be too useful.

Assuming I'm understanding what you're suggesting.

Lisa