How to generate a User Guide from Topics in Flare

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
LWR
Jr. Propeller Head

How to generate a User Guide from Topics in Flare

Post by LWR »

I am new to online help. I have created my topics in Flare. Now I want to generate a User Guide composed of all the topics. I have a master page and a header and footer.
How do I import those into Flare and get those topics into the User Guide? I read somewhere that you can generate a PDF.
I have tried all kinds of instructions. The only thing that happened was that I ended up with a header and footer for all the topics.
I need to show the master page and header / footer only for the User Guide. I am keeping this User Guide really simple. No sections/chapters etc. because I don't have the training etc.

My need is, simply:
1. How to create a User Guide with a Master Page with company header /footer and the hyperlinks are no longer underlined.

THANKS to anyone who answers.Lrich.
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Re: How to generate a User Guide from Topics in Flare

Post by KevinDAmery »

Ok, here's the reader's digest rundown. If you run into problems at any stage, feel free to ask for additional info - in the interests of saving time to do my real job :P I'm going to be brief here.

1. Make a master page that meets your requirements (sounds like you've done that)
2. Get the topics into Flare (sounds like you've done that too)
3. Create a TOC for the user guild and add the topics to the TOC
4. Create a Target for the user guide. Tell it to use the TOC and master page you created
5. Go into the Stylesheet editor and switch the medium to Print.
6. Select the a tag (which is used for hyperlinks). Change the font color to be the same as your base text (usually black) and the font decoration to None from Underline.
7. Build the new target

That should do it - again, if you run into problems, let us know the specific issues and we'll help you through them.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Post by forfear »

LWR wrote:I am new to online help. I have created my topics in Flare. Now I want to generate a User Guide composed of all the topics. I have a master page and a header and footer.

THANKS to anyone who answers.Lrich.
Welcome to the forums!
If you submit your bug feedback request here, the more likely it'll get fixed or included in a future release
Open Utilities PageLayout Resizer for Flare/Blaze | Batch builder
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Post by forfear »

If you need headers and foooters for your print ouput, you'll need to insert a
Page Header Proxy
Page Footer Proxy
With your PrintMasterpage created you do this from
Insert > Proxy > Page Header
Insert > Proxy > Page Footer

A way to see this in action is when you Insert Masterpage, choose Flare's sample Printed Masterpage
Masterpage.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you submit your bug feedback request here, the more likely it'll get fixed or included in a future release
Open Utilities PageLayout Resizer for Flare/Blaze | Batch builder