Numbered and Bulleted Lists

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
jwatson
Propeller Head

Numbered and Bulleted Lists

Post by jwatson »

Hi guys

We're generating printed documentation from our help system, and having trouble with lists.

We use numbered lists with indented bulleted lists, like this:

1. jslfjsfsf
2. jsfjsfdslf
3. sjdlfjsfsjf
- bullet
- bullet
4. jslkjfsljfslkf
5. jslfjsdlfkjslf

(try to imagine the bullet is lined up under the "s", I can't get that to work here for some reason)

When we generate the Word doc (Word 2007) the indented bullets are numbered.

An added issue is that we're using a graphic for the bullet.

Any suggestions for getting this to work properly in Word?

Thanks, Jenny.
Jenny
lacastle
Propellus Maximus

Re: Numbered and Bulleted Lists

Post by lacastle »

Are you using styles for the numbers and bullets, or just the formatting toolbar icon? I have a numbered li style and bulleted li styles that transfer correctly to Word.

Code: Select all

li.QBulletedList
{
	margin-top: 6pt;
	margin-bottom: 6pt;
	font-size: 9pt;
	margin-left: 10pt;
	list-style-type: square;
	mc-disable-glossary-terms: false;
}

li.QBulletListSub
{
	font-size: 9pt;
	margin-bottom: 4pt;
	margin-top: 4pt;
	list-style-type: disc;
	margin-left: 30pt;
}

li.QProcedures
{
	list-style-type: decimal;
	margin-top: 6pt;
	margin-bottom: 8pt;
	margin-left: 10pt;
}
Custom bullets do not transfer to Word, but you can just create them there again.
jwatson
Propeller Head

Post by jwatson »

lacastle wrote:Are you using styles for the numbers and bullets, or just the formatting toolbar icon? I have a numbered li style and bulleted li styles that transfer correctly to Word.

Custom bullets do not transfer to Word, but you can just create them there again.
OK - got it on the custom bullets. Will add those in Word.
We're using styles:

li.List_Numbered
{
	font-size: 8pt;
	margin-top: 0pt;
	list-style: decimal;
	color: #2a2a2a;
	mc-next-class: List_Numbered;
	mc-next-tag: p;
}

li.List_BulletsInList
{
	list-style: url(GlassButtonSmall.bmp);
	margin-top: 0pt;
	color: #2a2a2a;
	margin-left: 22pt;
	mc-next-class: List_BulletsInList;
	mc-next-tag: p;
}
See anything odd here?

Thanks for your help Laura!
Jenny.
Jenny
lacastle
Propellus Maximus

Post by lacastle »

Why do you have mc-next-class set? I'm not sure what that style means, but you have it set to the style it's in?
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

Actually, the simplest way to do it is to embed the bullet list inside a list item of the numbered list. A thread discussing how to do it can be found here:

http://forums.madcapsoftware.com/viewto ... f=6&t=6828

Here's a code sample:

<ol>
            <li>
                <MadCap:keyword term="creating:model" />
                <MadCap:keyword term="model:creating" />Choose a location in the <glossaryTerm class="Expanding"><MadCap:variable name="General.Treeview" /></glossaryTerm> to store your new <MadCap:variable name="Analysis.Model" /> in by selecting either the <MadCap:variable name="Analysis.Model" />s root or a subfolder within it.</li>
            <li>Do one of the following:</li>
            <ul>
                <li>Right click on the folder and choose Create New <MadCap:variable name="Analysis.Model" /> from the context menu.</li>
                <li>Go to the Actions menu of the <MadCap:variable name="General.Treeview" /> window and choose Create New <MadCap:variable name="Analysis.Model" />. </li>
                <p>The <MadCap:variable name="Analysis.Model" /> Screen opens. </p>
            </ul>
            <li>
                <MadCap:keyword term="name:model;model:name" />Enter a name for the new <MadCap:variable name="Analysis.Model" />. <MadCap:variable name="Analysis.Model" /> names should be as descriptive as possible, and must be unique. </li>
            <li>
                <MadCap:keyword term="description:model;model:description" />Optionally, enter a description in the Description text box. Again, the description should be as clear and accurate as possible so that other <MadCap:variable name="General.ProductName" /> users can identify the purpose of the <MadCap:variable name="Analysis.Model" /> easily. </li>
            <li>To finish creating the <MadCap:variable name="Analysis.Model" />, click the Save icon above the <MadCap:variable name="General.Treeview" />.</li>
        </ol>
And here's what it looks like:
list_example.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
jwatson
Propeller Head

Post by jwatson »

lacastle wrote:Why do you have mc-next-class set? I'm not sure what that style means, but you have it set to the style it's in?
Good question. I didn't create the stylesheet originally, but I think it's used like the option in Word to set the next paragraph to use the same style.
But I'll try removing that and see if it fixes it.

Actually, you got me thinking, so I found a page that uses the two lists. I think the problem is with how the lists have been implemented. Here's a snip:

<ol>
            <li class="List_Numbered">On the Edit Panel, click <span style="font-weight: bold;">Effects</span>, and then double-click <span style="font-weight: bold;">Outline</span>.</li>
            <li class="List_Numbered">On the Outline tab, set the options as described below.</li>
            <li class="List_Numbered">Do one of the  following:</li>
            <li class="List_BulletsInList">Click <span style="font-weight: bold;">Done</span> to accept your changes and close the tab.</li>
            <li class="List_BulletsInList">Click <span style="font-weight: bold;">Cancel</span> to discard your changes and close the tab.</li>
        </ol>
So both the numbered and bulleted lists are inside a single set of <OL></OL> tags. I think usually you'd have a <UL></UL> wrapped around the bullet list.
Will have to test this some more.

Thanks again Laura.

Jenny.
Jenny
lacastle
Propellus Maximus

Post by lacastle »

This is how mine looks in context:

<h4 class="SubHeading">Using the Table of Contents Button</h4>
        <ol>
            <li class="QProcedures" value="1">Click <b class="Emphasis">Table of Contents</b> to display the Table of Contents for the Online Help. Only the 
 main categories or "books" will be displayed at first. If necessary, 
 use the scroll bar to scroll through the topic list.</li>
            <li class="QProcedures" value="2">Click the "book" 
 with contents you want to see. Click a top level book to expand the Table 
 of Contents entry for the selected topic and list any sub-topics ("chapters" 
 and "pages") beneath the main book. Click an "open" 
 book to close it (i.e. collapse the associated Table of Contents list).</li>
            <li class="QBulletListSub">This is a sub-bullet.</li>
            <li class="QProcedures" value="3">Click the topic/page 
 you wish to read. The online help topic content displays in the right 
 pane of the help window.</li>
        </ol>
Untitled-1.jpg
I guess that's the same as yours.

Did you try KevinDAmery's suggestion?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jwatson
Propeller Head

Post by jwatson »

Hi Kevin and Laura

OK, so using the toolbar, I select all my list items, click the numbered list icon, add my numbered item style. Then select just the 2 that I want to be bullets, use the indent, click the bullet icon to change it to a <UL>, then add my indented bullet item style.

That gives me what I think I need.

But interesting to see that Laura's code looks like mine did before I started fiddling with it. ie. Laura's numbers and bullets are both inside a <OL> with no sublist of <UL>.

It's puzzling that both ways could work.

Hmmm - still thinking about this.
Thanks both of you for the help!

Jenny.
Jenny