Flare 4: How can I configure Heading.Level variable?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
JupiterJones
Propeller Head

Flare 4: How can I configure Heading.Level variable?

Post by JupiterJones »

I would like to insert a Heading.Level1 variable into the header of my page layout (PDF target). This works as expected, but how can I configure...
  • to include or exclude the heading number (I use numbered headings)
  • the distance between heading number and heading text (currently there is NO space inbetween, my h1 style uses a number offset of 20mm and position "outside-head"
I am looking for a way to adjust this distance or to exclude the number.
Is that possible? Would it help to modify the number position in the h1 style, e.g. inside-head or whatever? But that would not be my preferred solution.

JJ
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Re: Flare 4: How can I configure Heading.Level variable?

Post by forfear »

Have you tried the new ChapterNumber variable?
To use chapter numbering in Flare v4 with headings
You might be able to do some pretty interesting page designs where the Chapter Number is put in a separate Decoration Frame in Page Layout - blown up to 92 points.
Then the Heading 1s are in the main Body.

To increment Chapter Number, use the TOC to add chapter breaks.

In the headers and footers
to you link to Heading 1s (but since now you don't use the AutoNumbers) the numbers won't appear in your headers/footers
Then to have left pages show Chapter xxx (I insert a header, with Chapter <ChapterNumber var>)

that should do it for you

There is another alternative, i've experimented in the past...
is to create a 'MakeWhite' span class *white text)- assign it to the autonumber setting for your heading. and the Auto Numbers disappear.
If you submit your bug feedback request here, the more likely it'll get fixed or included in a future release
Open Utilities PageLayout Resizer for Flare/Blaze | Batch builder
JupiterJones
Propeller Head

Re: Flare 4: How can I configure Heading.Level variable?

Post by JupiterJones »

Thanks for the tip - I like your solution with chapter numbers. It works fine for the headers, but I also need a heading number for my h1 in the text.

It seems that I can't have both, right? If I use auto numbers for my h1, the number will also be included in the header.
If I don't use auto numbers, I can create a very nice header using the chapnum variable, but I have no numbered h1 in the text anymore.

Is there another solution? Am I missing something?