Right Margin (Mini)Toc Proxy problems in Word Output

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
Joost
Propeller Head

Right Margin (Mini)Toc Proxy problems in Word Output

Post by Joost »

Hi,

My TOC proxy styles do not align with my right margin. Even if I set the margins and the padding of the TOC1-9 and MiniTOC1-9 styles to 0 or to default in the correct medium, the gap between the two remains. Word puts a tab at 13.5 right, and it should be 15.5 right. I don't know how I can change this behaviour. Anyone?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bobmoon
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Right Margin (Mini)Toc Proxy problems in Word Output

Post by bobmoon »

I'm getting the same effect and can't figure out how to make Flare adjust the location of the tab in the miniTOC.

Can anyone help?

Bob
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

I think it might be a Word issue. I see the same problem in my Table of Contents when I build Word output, but if I build PDF output then the page numbers are aligned to the right margin. Wouldn't hurt to put a bug report in, though -- maybe MadCap can figure out a way to override Word's default settings for TOC styles.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
noblehouse
Propeller Head

Post by noblehouse »

I just came across this post when searching for a solution, since I was having the same problem. After much experimentation, I found a solution that works for me. For each of your TOC styles (p.TOC1, p.TOC2, etc.) set the mc-leader-offset property (under Unclassified) in the stylesheet. Also, mc-leader-align should be "right".

I'm not sure exactly what the numbers you enter for mc-leader-offset represent -- it's not the number of inches from the left side or from the right side of the page. I think it's somehow relative to the width of the TOC itself. I found that I actually had to put in a negative number to get the TOC page numbers to align where I want them. I set TOC1 at -.85in and TOC2 and TOC3 at -.60in. (our style is to have the top level TOC items slightly outdented).

I don't use miniTOCs so I can't speak to that, but this is what worked for me for the TOC.
TOC.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joost
Propeller Head

Post by Joost »

noblehouse wrote:I found a solution that works for me
Either you uploaded the wrong picture or the problem has not been solved. There is still a gap between your right TOC margin and your right p.TOC1 style in your picture.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

I think stylistically the effect was just to have the chapter page number outdented from the others. Moving the other page numbers out would have been done using the same process.

And keep in mind that using negative margin values workaround is only for Word output -- PDF output automatically puts the page numbers up against the edge of the body margin.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.