Adding page breaks to headings in Print Output

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
todd.richardson
Sr. Propeller Head

Adding page breaks to headings in Print Output

Post by todd.richardson »

Hello,

I can't seem to figure out how to force a page break before top-level headings in printed output. When I build my print target (PDF), the headings begin immediately after the chapter title (where a mini-TOC might go - see the example below). How do I force a page break before these sections/headings (essentially forcing the section to begin on the following page)?

Example:
The heading indicated by the box annotation should begin on the next page. How do I force it to begin there?

Thanks in advance.
Todd Richardson
Engineering Team Lead – Customer Experience | IntervalZero

Windows 10, Flare 2020
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Re: Adding page breaks to headings in Print Output

Post by SteveS »

The property you need is page-break-before, it's listed under the print support properties.

If you use the heading repeatedly, but don't want every instance forcing a page break, you can create a new class for the style that inherits all other properties but has the page break before set to always.

HTH
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
todd.richardson
Sr. Propeller Head

Thanks for the reply.

The text indicated by the annotation box in the example above was set to 'page-break-before; always,' but it still does not force a page break. Have you encountered this before?

Thanks again.
Todd Richardson

Windows 10, Flare 2020
NickC
Propeller Head

Post by NickC »

I'm sure you've checked, but is your CSS medium set to print for your target (in the Advanced tab) and are you modifying the CSS print properties for the CSS print medium ?

I've been experiencing erratic behavior when setting print properties including page breaks before. I've tried the properties on several styles (not just headings) and it doesn't always seems to work consistently throughout a project.

I've also got a few questions about orphan and widow properties but I'll put those in another thread.

Despite a few idiosyncracies, I'm really pleased with direct PDF output from XML and, unless we're doing something wrong, I'm sure MadCap will iron out these difficulties in future releases...

Nick
todd.richardson
Sr. Propeller Head

Style medium is set to 'Print" in the target properties, and 'page-break-before; always' is specified in the print medium of the style in the stylesheet (it was a great question to ask - I don't know how many times I've forgotten to change mediums before making changes to a style).

Looks like I'll have to put this to MadCap Support then. I will let you know what I learn.

Thanks.
Todd Richardson

Windows 10, Flare 2020
todd.richardson
Sr. Propeller Head

I have another inquiry which is somewhat related, though not evidence of buggy behavior.

Is there a way to force a heading (or any style) to always keep with the content that follows it - like a 'keep-with-next' option? This would be particularly useful for headings that introduce a list (see the image below).

The heading indicated by the red box should appear on the following page with the list that follows it:

Thanks.
Todd Richardson

Windows 10, Flare 2020
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

In the Print Support section of the stylesheet editor set the page-break-after attribute to Avoid. That should do it.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
todd.richardson
Sr. Propeller Head

Thanks!
Todd Richardson

Windows 10, Flare 2020
bonnie
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by bonnie »

I'm trying to set up a style that forces a page break to a left-hand page. This is in Flare 4. The Help tells me to go to the stylesheet, select the style, and click on this icon on the local toolbar:
page_break_properties_icon.png
But I don't see this icon on the local toolbar. And I don't see a description of it in the Stylesheet Editor Dynamic Help.
I know how to open the Properties dialog box in a topic for local formatting, but I want to set up styles with forced left-hand page breaks.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Bonnie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

That's an icon in the Page Layout Editor, not the Stylesheet Editor.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
CanAussie
Propeller Head

Post by CanAussie »

Hi,

Did you ever find a fix for the first issue?

I am having the same problem. My page break is working most of the time, but some section heading show up a the bottom of other sections.

It's driving me nuts.

CanAussie