PDF Page Layouts Problem

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
Robotman
Sr. Propeller Head

PDF Page Layouts Problem

Post by Robotman »

Hi, I'm hoping somebody can help me out with Page Layout problems that I'm having.

Note: I'm using Vista 64-bit.

Aim:
I would like to setup a Page Layout for PDF output that contains three frame headers and three frame footers.
TopLeft: product user guide
TopCentre: chapter heading
TopRight: product logo

Bottom Left: company logo
BottomCentre: Copyright 2008
BottomRight: Page Numbering

Previously:
In the previous version when using MasterPages I just had a table in there which worked fine. After we decided to ditch the word output and concentrate solely on PDF, I thought I'd have a crack at Page Layouts.

Using Page Layouts
Each time I add a new header or footer frame, the second and third frames are coloured dark grey out (see image) and no matter what I put into that frame (plain text, image, snippets), I'm unable to get an output that features all three frames (I can only get an output that has one header or one footer). I can edit each individual frame, but it's just not visible (either in output or in the dark grey frame).

This also happens when I tried it using the sample project.

Solution:
Of course, I can continue to just use Word output but I'm not sure why the above is happening. I have tried a variety of ways of doing it, I'm half-way proficient at HTML and I can't seem to work this one out.

I guess I can make an arse out of myself and ask whether I am using page layouts correctly? I have read the printed output guide and the only part I find confusing is the 'Select Next Frame' stuff. Mostly loving the rest of Flare 4 - I'm just stumped here for the moment.

Thanks,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
\m/ Gary \m/
Flare 2020 / Windows 10 64-Bit
Screaming Symphony
McCarthy
Propeller Head

Re: PDF Page Layouts Problem

Post by McCarthy »

Hi, i have the same problem... It should allow you to add more than one header and footer frame, but doesnt seem too...
Flare 4.2
Certified Mad for Flare
Windows XP
Robotman
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Robotman »

Are you using Vista 64-bit? I haven't tried it on a 32-bit o/s yet.
\m/ Gary \m/
Screaming Symphony
DocuWil
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by DocuWil »

Hi,
Maybe it helps you:
I use Vista 32bit.
I defined just 1 header frame and on top of that I used decoration frames. I admit that it was a little bit difficult to find out.
I hope it works for you too.
Wil Veenstra

Documentation and Training Centre
Infologic Nederland
(Using Flare 11.1.2, Capture 7.0.0 and Mimic 7.0.0 in Windows 10 64-bit)
Robotman
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Robotman »

DocuWil wrote:Hi,
Maybe it helps you:
I use Vista 32bit.
I defined just 1 header frame and on top of that I used decoration frames. I admit that it was a little bit difficult to find out.
I hope it works for you too.
Thanks. Unfortunately I was only able to add one decoration frame to the header. Definitely a partial solution but not a full one.

Also, I just tried it on Vista 32-bit and I still couldn't get it to commit to three header frames.

I might submit this as a bug. If anybody else has had this issue, I would ask you submit this as well.

Thanks,
\m/ Gary \m/
Screaming Symphony
mattbnh
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by mattbnh »

I was able to put 3 elements in a header or footer by using a 2-cell, 1-row table in the footer frame, and a text-decoration frame for the page number.
Here is a composite snap showing how it was layed out.
Gray picture is the page layout, blue pictures are the footer frame and the decoration frame after clicking F2.
footer-frames.gif
And before you ask, getting the left-justified/right-justified layout in the table was...challenging.

I also filed a bug about the problem with no text appearing in a second frame of a type.
Hope this helps
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mattbnh
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by mattbnh »

As they say in the NFL, "Upon further review..."

What I posted works, but I was have one devil of a time lining up the text output of the Page number variable with the Chapter number and the book title, horizontally. The frames lined up fine but the text, in different styles, would not.

I will refrain from displaying my poor html/css skills that are probably the cause of this, but the easy solution was to make it a single footer frame with three columns rather than two, and put the page number variable in the first column on the left page layout, and the rightmost column, right-justified, on the right and front pages.

So I would recommend using a single frame for the footer, with a table to position the elements.
tana
Propeller Head

Post by tana »

THANK YOU! I was so frustrated about not being able to use a second frame in the header/footer area... the table solution you posted (so simple, so sweet) allows me to have the page number AND the title both on the footer.

I am pursuing this single-sourcing dream, but have encountered a lot of difficulties so far with outputting to Frame... though I am finding a lot of great info on the forums.

Thanks again!
tana
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

tana wrote:THANK YOU! I was so frustrated about not being able to use a second frame in the header/footer area... the table solution you posted (so simple, so sweet) allows me to have the page number AND the title both on the footer.
Funny thing is, that's the way we always did it in Flare 3 and earlier. Those versions didn't have Page Layouts - they only had masterpages, and text boxes didn't exist, so tables were the only way to go.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
tana
Propeller Head

Post by tana »

;-) Yes, I have had an eventful past 5 days. I started for the first time on attempting printed documetation in v 3.x, created a master page withe relative ease, then the next day I upgraded to v. 4 and decided to try page layouts. The Flare documentation said that page layouts are easier... errr... Anyway, I am mostly mad at myself for not making that mental leap myself about using a table in the page layout.

Now if I can get my other issues figured out. I am going to try another day or two and then will likely post a list here of the issues I am having, since they are starting to make me nutty. (If you are curious.... I can't insert an image frame into a Title page for a layout, and if I use another type frame, and insert my graphic, the size is WAY off; can't get my mini TOCs to show any content; and all of the headings that are H1 in webHelp get converted to H2 in Framemaker. Argh.)

This forum is GREAT!
tana