Oh please Help Me. Only odd page numbers appear in print

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
Jane Dudgeon
Propeller Head

Oh please Help Me. Only odd page numbers appear in print

Post by Jane Dudgeon »

Hi I really need someone to help me please? I'm trying to put out printed documenation with page numbers on all the Content pages. So far, only the odd pages show the page numbers. I have decided to use Page Layouts instead of Master pages. The online Help states that is a bit less complicated. My need is to produce a MS Word version of the Help project with a cover page, TOC page and the body text.
So, I created a page layout called CoverPage and left it as a F for front page.
Then I created a second page layout called Body and in that I went to the bottom of the page layout and pressed F2 to edit and make a footer that holds the page number.
I added a topic called Cover and another topic called Contents. With each of these topics I made them with condition for Print Only. I also went to the stylesheet and created a H1 add class called H1PrintOnly. Then when going back to my TOC, I clicked the Coverpage topic and under Chapter Break selected to start a new chapter document and selected the CoverPageLayout. For Page Type, I selected First. For Auto end on left page, I left that at "enabled". For chapter File name (which I'm not using, I left at default.
Under page number, I clicked the Continue from previous button and Format at default.

Then I did the same steps for the style caleed Body. I clicked the Start New chapter checkbox. At the Configure chapter using layout, I selected Content page layout. At page type, left at Normal (Is this where I have messed up). For Audo-end on left page, I selected Enabled
Under Page Numbers, I clicked the Reset To button and entered 1 as the starting page number and for Format, left it at default.

When I go to build Word target, only the odd page numbers appear. What happened to the even page numbers? Is there something in the Printed Output tab that I'm doing wrong here or what?

I would most grateful if someone knows how to solve this to reply. Otherwise, would someone send in a help desk ticket to MadCap so that I can resolve this issue.

Thanks for reading and thanks for caring.

Jane D :?
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Re: Oh please Help Me. Only odd page numbers appear in print

Post by wclass »

On the target function, on the Printed Documentation tab there is a new option called "Generate mirror margins for Word" - try setting that.
(Note - I have not yet upgraded my master pages to page layouts from the previous version, so have not tested this option yet - it is on my list).
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne
Jane Dudgeon
Propeller Head

Post by Jane Dudgeon »

Hi there. Thanks for reading and sending me a reply. I did try the Generate Mirror in Word option. Unfortunately that did not work. I am thinking this problem has something to do with the page layout. I put my cursor in the footer section and pressed F2 and it inserted a page number proxie. I just cannot figure out why it is doing it to only odd pages.

Strangely enough though, is if I have only ONE page layout and I do the saem thing by pressing F2 and getting the page number, it works correctly. The problem is it puts a page number on the cover page. So I had created two page layouts. One for cover with nothing on it. And then created another page layout that has the number in it. So why is putting a page number only on the odd pages?

Thanks for taking the time to read and help.

Jane D. :wink:
tana
Propeller Head

Post by tana »

Jane, I am somewhat new to the page layouts, but have been heads-down in it for four days now.. and I suspect that where you "messed up" is exactly where you think. On that second layout, called Body, I am pretty sure that for the topic where you want that layout to be used, you will have to select the layout and *select the page type* (other than normal) that you defined for this. Did you define a Left and Right page, or a First? I would recommend using a Left and Right page.

So from your outline TOC, right click the topic where you want the Body page layout to start... and on the Printed Output tab, select Start a new chapter document, as you did, but then select something other than Normal for the page type. (First you might want to open your Body page layout and confirm what your choices are for pages--i.e. page types.)

Good luck! This single-sourcing is very complex; hopefully I am not chasing a dream. ;-)

tana
Jane Dudgeon
Propeller Head

Post by Jane Dudgeon »

Hi Tana,
Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I read it carefully and went to the TOC and with properties for Select Page Type, I selected First. (I do not want left and right numbered pages, just one page number in bottom center. I generated the Word target, and it is still only showing the odd page numbers. Do I need to go into EVERY single topic and do this Start New Chapter thing? What baffles me is that if I use one Body page layout for it all, (without a cover page layout, it prints all the numbers just fine. But I do NOT want a page number or Header on the cover page.

My boss will not pay for client support, so if anyone out there is reading this, would you please, oh please reply back with what I should do or what I am doing wrong.

Many thanks in advance

Jane D. :? :? :?
Jane Dudgeon
Propeller Head

Post by Jane Dudgeon »

Hi Tana,
I have a question for you please? You mentioned in your last post that I should go back to the Body page layout and confirm what choice I want to pages, i.e. page types. How do you do this on the page layout page?

Thanks in advance. My boss won't pay for customer support, and I've been struggling with lots of issues related to printed documentation. If anyone out there can report this issue in and get a response from customer support, will you share it with me please?

My sincere thanks in advance. Really, thanks a lot.
Jane D. :? :? :?
tana
Propeller Head

Post by tana »

Hi, Jane, I know this is frustraintg... it is a complex set of procedures. However, I keep telling myself about my own struggles that I will either figure it out or I will decide to stop pursuing the elusive dream of single-sourcing and go back to good ole Frame! Hang in there.

What I meant in my post is that you should look and see what page types you have in your Body page layout. Open the layout, then look at the little page icons on the right... each page icon will have a letter in a circle, like L or R or F, etc. Those are the page types that you can then choose from when you set the Start a new chapter option.

What template did you choose when you created the Body layout? That will determine what page types you get. I suggest you try picking a different one, and I also suggest that even if you dont want to use Left and Right page types because you want the numbers in the midlle, you should still try using e a Left and Right page. In the footer, you can center the page number for both Left and Right pages.

I guess what I am saying is just try it, since the single page layout doesnt seem to be working. ;-)

good luck!
tana
Darci
Propeller Head

Post by Darci »

Hi!

If you haven't already resolved, go to the page layout and like another person suggested, if you only have a single page layout that is a problem. You need to have a page in your layout that has the Right page type (odd page); Left page type (even page) and if you want there to be an empty page between chapters, you need to add an Empty page type as well. I use those three and set my TOC entry properties to start a new chapter using the Right page type. This works great for me because I want all of my new chapters to start on the odd(right) page for double-sided printing. Even if you aren't double-side printing, the right page is still the odd page.

I hope this helps!
Darci

Certified MadCap Advanced Developer, v8

"Improving the world, one word and one pixel at a time."