Is it possible to use both Page Layouts AND Master Page

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
Jane Dudgeon
Propeller Head

Is it possible to use both Page Layouts AND Master Page

Post by Jane Dudgeon »

Hi
I was wondering if it is possible to have both page layouts (for printed documentation) and master page layouts for WebHelp?
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Re: Is it possible to use both Page Layouts AND Master Page

Post by wclass »

Yes, you can set the different layout types for the different targets. I'm only just getting in to testing page layouts (deciding if I will upgrade), but I did a few tests. I think the idea is to use page layouts in general for print output (Word, PDF, etc), and leave the master pages for web and HTML help.

I created a page layout and applied it to my Word output OK, and my webhelp outputs still all work with master pages. If you select a page layout for web help, it will get ignored. If you set a page layout for a Word document on a target that already has a master page, then the page layout overrides the master page - that's OK.

It does seem a bit odd that you select the page layout on the Basic tab, but the master pages are still on the Advanced tab.

I like the fact that you can set a default page layout (Project > Properties), but I'd like to set a default master page as well.

Of course, master pages still work with print output - I'm not convinced I'll go to the trouble of moving my print targets to page layouts, as everything works at the moment.
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Is it possible to use both Page Layouts AND Master Page

Post by LTinker68 »

wclass wrote:I think the idea is to use page layouts in general for print output (Word, PDF, etc), and leave the master pages for web and HTML help.
Correct.
wclass wrote:If you set a page layout for a Word document on a target that already has a master page, then the page layout overrides the master page - that's OK.
There is an option in the target where you can tell it to ignore masterpages for Word output. Framemaker, too, I think. But for Word output I think masterpages take precedence unless you apply the page layout to the books in the TOC, then page layouts probably take precedence.
wclass wrote:Of course, master pages still work with print output ...
Only for Word, I believe (and maybe FM). I think if you do the PDF output directly from Flare then you have to use page layouts.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.