Master Page Layouts: "Page Name" vs. "Page Type"

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Master Page Layouts: "Page Name" vs. "Page Type"

Post by doc_guy »

I want to have two different pages that are both the page type "First", but I can't seem to make this work.

For example, I want first pages of chapters to have one page layout, but I want first pages of the appendix to have a different page layout.

I created two pages, and using the dialog box below, I gave them different names, and set them both to the type "First".

However, there is no option anywhere to select the page layout by NAME, you can just select it by TYPE. If there are two layouts of the same type with different names, it selects the first layout with that type. In this case, all my appendix first pages are using the chapter page layout.

What am I doing wrong? Why allow multiple pages of the same type (with different names) if you can't use them? Or can you use them and I'm just doing it wrong?

I know I could create a separate page layout for the appendix, but that seems like a lame solution. Is there another way?
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Re: Master Page Layouts: "Page Name" vs. "Page Type"

Post by SteveS »

The printed output tab on the properties dialog for the topic in the master TOC (phew) has a drop down list for 'Configure chapter using this page layout'. Does that work? (I haven't tested)
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
jpeffley
Propeller Head

Post by jpeffley »

I think you need to create two sets of page layouts, one for chapters and one for the appendix. If they are mostly the same, you can copy the layout and then just rename it and modify for the differences (like the different first page).
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

I've gone to reply to you guys twice now, but I'm normally reading the forums while Flare is compiling... which it is again, so I can't verify, but Steve, I'm pretty sure that the option you are referring to only lets you select the Page Type. What happens if you have multiple pages of the same type, but with different names?

jpeffley, thanks for your suggestion. That is what I ended up doing, and it does work. But I'm still scratching my head at why Flare allows you to create multiple page layouts of the same type with different names, if you can't use them anywhere.

Weird.

Thanks again, both of you.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog