Can't single-source topics in the same TOC

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
mymojo
Propeller Head

Can't single-source topics in the same TOC

Post by mymojo »

Ok, here's my issue. I have a topic that appears at the beginning of each chapter of my manual. So why can't I single-source that section and reuse it in the same table of contents without getting an error when I try to build the pdf?

I get an "internal error: an item with the same key has already been added."
Umm...yeah I know. I put it there. Twice. On purpose.

Isn't that the beauty of single-sourcing in the first place? Reusing the same content? The whole point of Flare?
Can someone tell me if I'm missing something? I feel like I'm going crazy here. How can this not be an option for printed output?
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Can't single-source topics in the same TOC

Post by LTinker68 »

You can, just not that way. You can still build the help with that message. The problem comes if you have the option to sync the TOC to the open topic. If you do, then when you click on one of those instances in the TOC, it will jump to the first occurrence of that topic in the TOC, even if that's not the one you clicked on. For instance, if you clicked on the topic under Book #5, the topic will open but the TOC will jump to show that the topic under Book #1 was selected.

To get around that, you put the content into a snippet. Then you create topics for each instance where you're going to show that content. Then you insert the snippet into each of those topics. That way when you click on the topic under Book #5, the TOC syncs up to the topic under Book #5. If you click on the topic under Book #2, then the TOC syncs up to that topic and so on.

So you are single-sourcing the content in that you can change it in one place and it filters down to all the topics that use that snippet, but you do have multiple topics.

One other thing I suggest doing is only having one of those topics be searchable. Otherwise, when a user searches on a particular string in that topic, then he'll get several topics returned that are all identical. So keep one searchable and make all others unsearchable.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
mymojo
Propeller Head

Re: Can't single-source topics in the same TOC

Post by mymojo »

Thank goodness for you. That makes sense. I knew there had to be a way.

Much, much appreciated!