Image not displaying in Image Frame

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
DanAustin
Propeller Head

Image not displaying in Image Frame

Post by DanAustin »

In page layout, if I add an image frame, the image appears for an instant and then disappears. The frame stays, but does not display the image, and it is not displayed on the generated output. If I put the frame over the body frame, the frame covers up that part of the body on the output, but with no image. If I click the frame and drag it, or resize it, the image displays until I release the mouse, and then disappears again. If I start a new blank project and try to do the same thing, it works fine, which tells me that the problem might be in my stylesheet, but I have no idea where to look for the problem. Please, any suggestions?

Dan
royj
Propeller Head

Re: Image not displaying in Image Frame

Post by royj »

DanAustin wrote:In page layout, if I add an image frame, the image appears for an instant and then disappears. The frame stays, but does not display the image, and it is not displayed on the generated output. If I put the frame over the body frame, the frame covers up that part of the body on the output, but with no image. If I click the frame and drag it, or resize it, the image displays until I release the mouse, and then disappears again. If I start a new blank project and try to do the same thing, it works fine, which tells me that the problem might be in my stylesheet, but I have no idea where to look for the problem. Please, any suggestions?

Dan
It does this for me as well. I think it's a bug.
Roy Jacobsen
Writing, Clear and Simple
Fargo, ND
royj@writingclearandsimple.com
http://rmjacobsen.squarespace.com
DanAustin
Propeller Head

Post by DanAustin »

If I switch to the default style sheet, it works fine, but not with the one that I've been using for about two years now. If I can find the offending code, I'll change it, but I have no idea where to look. Yes, it appears to be a bug. HELP!!!
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Do you have anything in the stylesheet with visibility set to hidden? And do you use DIVs with Z-index values?

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
DanAustin
Propeller Head

Post by DanAustin »

LTinker68 wrote:Do you have anything in the stylesheet with visibility set to hidden? And do you use DIVs with Z-index values?
No, not that I'm aware of. I'm not expert on CSS but know enough to modify styles to meet my needs. The Z-index setting under "div" is (not set).
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

If your body frame overlapping the image one? If so, then you'll need to move the image frame up a z-index level.

What kind of image are you using, BTW? What file extension?

Lisa
DanAustin
Propeller Head

Post by DanAustin »

LTinker68 wrote:If your body frame overlapping the image one? If so, then you'll need to move the image frame up a z-index level.

What kind of image are you using, BTW? What file extension?
No frame overlap. I've tried using a blank page with ONLY the image frame ... no luck. Also, I've tried various file formats to see if that's the problem. The format doesn't seem to matter.

NEW WRINKLE: If I add a second Image Frame (or more), subsequent ones AFTER the original Image Frames are working. Everything after the first one is working. If I delete the first one, the second frame (now the first) goes blank, but anything after that stays on. This is TRULY strange <g>.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Does it happen just in that project, or does it happen in a new test project, too?

Lisa
DanAustin
Propeller Head

Post by DanAustin »

If I start a new project from scratch, it works fine. As soon as I bring in my normal style sheet into the new project, it breaks. That's why I believe the problem is in the style sheet, but can't figure out what in there might be causing this.

Dan
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

This might be a bit of a pain, but you can narrow down the problem this way.

Open the stylesheet file in the Internal Text Editor. Put comment tags around a few blocks of code in the stylesheet, save the stylesheet, then see if that takes care of the problem. If it does, then you've narrowed down the problem to that block of code. If it doesn't take care of the problem, then remove the comment tags from those blocks and add them to the next set of blocks in the stylesheet and repeat the process. Be careful when you get to the @media print section -- don't comment out the opening @media print line, the opening brace, or the closing brace. Just comment out the print styles themselves.

Comment tags for stylesheets are /* to start the comment block and */ to end the comment block. For instance, in the example below, the h1.welcome style block has been commented out. When you comment something out, it's the same as if you deleted it from the stylesheet. In other words, all outputs ignore the commented block (or they should). I only commented out one style, but you could comment out several style blocks at once or just one line of code in one style block (e.g., comment out the color declaration).

Code: Select all

h1
{
	font-weight: bold;
	font-size: 1.8em;
	color: #003e74;
	border-bottom: solid 1px #003e74;
	margin: 0 -8px 32px -8px;
	padding: 0 8px;
}

/* h1.welcome
{
	margin-top: 1.07em;
}*/

h2
{
	font-weight: bold;
	font-size: 1.4em;
	margin-top: 32px;
	margin-bottom: 10px;
	color: #990000;
}

Lisa
DanAustin
Propeller Head

Post by DanAustin »

That sounds like a great plan... block out large chunks of the style sheet to determine what block the problem is in, and then drill down from there once it's identified. I'll try that next and let you know what I find.

Thanks much!
DanAustin
Propeller Head

Post by DanAustin »

I believe I found the problem based on your last suggestion.

body
{
margin-left: 0.5in;
font-family: Arial, Verdana, sans-serif;
font-size: 0.95em;
background-color: #ffffff;
}

It appears that there's not a way to take the background color out in the style editor, but I was able to with a text editor. It seems to be working now, and I've also learned a little more about style sheets in the process. Thanks so much for your help!

Dan
royj
Propeller Head

Post by royj »

Dan,
Did you change the background color to something else, or remove that entry completely?
Roy Jacobsen
Writing, Clear and Simple
Fargo, ND
royj@writingclearandsimple.com
http://rmjacobsen.squarespace.com
DanAustin
Propeller Head

Post by DanAustin »

I removed it completely. I'm not sure why it had a color in the first place, or why that would cause my image frame problem, but it seems to have fixed the issue. This was something that a previous co-worker had done, and I don't know the reasoning. The suggestion about commenting out sections of the style sheet was what let me find the issue. Many thanks!

Dan