images not showing in page layout printed doc

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
ChristyPatton
Sr. Propeller Head

images not showing in page layout printed doc

Post by ChristyPatton »

Word 07, Flare V4. I am converting a project from Master pages to page layout. Everything is behaving correctly except two images intended for the footers. (I have images in the headers as well. They correctly work.) I have experimented with one image laying inside a table and one inside a graphic frame. I have also blocked sections of the css using the method described in another post. Nothing changed either image. The images show up on my layout page but not in my compiled Word output. I have footer frames large enough to hold the images and other text, both variables, compile into Word. I have inserted the images in graphic frames inside other areas of the page just to see if they would show up. Nothing.

How frustrating, this is the only thing making this project DONE
Christy Patton
Technical Communications

MadPak
Flare 6.1
Capture 4.0
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Re: images not showing in page layout printed doc

Post by doc_guy »

What happens when you build a PDF target?
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

Nevermind.

Word uses Master Pages, and PDF uses page layouts, so this won't help.

-Paul
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

ChristyPatton
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by ChristyPatton »

...and from everything I've seen so far, Word actually uses both. I am using page layouts because I want to force new chapters to start on the right or the odd page.
Christy Patton
Technical Communications

MadPak
Flare 6.1
Capture 4.0
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

Word isn't supposed to use Page Layouts, only master pages, but I haven't tried it.

I have *much* better success with my PDF targets than I ever had with my Word targets. I used to have to do post-processing in Word that took me around an hour; now I just build to PDF, no post-processing needed.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

Well, so here is a thought: if this is all that is keeping you from publishing your final target, can you just add the image manually into your footer in Word? You may have to do this for each section, but it wouldn't take THAT long, and then you can send off your project while you try to figure out if there isn't a way to get Flare to do this automatically next time. But until then, you can add it to your list of post-processing steps in Word.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

ChristyPatton
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by ChristyPatton »

Direct from the Flare help guide, "The general rule of thumb is that page layouts are recommended for print-based output (when possible), and master pages continue to be the best method for automatically adding headers, footers, and breadcrumbs in multiple topics for online output. Another difference between page layouts and master pages is that page layouts can be used for any of the print-based outputs (Adobe PDF, XHTML, Microsoft XPS, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker), whereas master pages can be used only for Microsoft Word and FrameMaker when creating print-based output."

This is what I was going on... :roll: Is that going to be ok?

And, really the only reason I am using this is to force chapters to start on the right/odd page. Now I just compiled a PDF. The images came through but one is acting like it doesn't have enough space. The headers and footers are all messed up. The variables aren't working and when the page numbers start they are roman numeral as opposed to decimal numbers. So....the images work here (kinda). I will have to fix the PDF output but that is not my priority. We have to get the print out first.

now what? I'm all ears. :lol:
Christy Patton
Technical Communications

MadPak
Flare 6.1
Capture 4.0
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

ChristyPatton wrote:And, really the only reason I am using this is to force chapters to start on the right/odd page.
What feature are you using to do this? Because I'm not really clear. You don't need to use Page Layouts in order to get the chapters to start on the recto page. You can do this using just MasterPages and settings on the chapter. (I was doing this in Flare 3.1, and it worked, but I'm not remembering exactly how I did it, so I'd have to take a few minutes to look at the settings.)
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

Two more thoughts:

1> you are right about page layouts and Word, though I haven't tried this yet, but I confirmed that page layouts do work with Word.

2> if your word target is building with just the footer problem, I'd still suggest what I did earlier about fixing this in the post-processing. It lets you get your project out the door today, without trying to beat your head against the wall trying to fix this in Flare today.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

ChristyPatton
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by ChristyPatton »

Ok, I am in my target>basic tab. I have my Master Page Layout selected to my main page layout as opposed to my front matter layout, contents and such. And I have my Master TOC and Master Stylesheet. (BTW, I found this a bit confusing to not use the term Master Page when that is what Word refers to them as.) And on the Printed Output tab I have the 'Disable Master Pages for FrameMaker and MS Word output' checked.

But if I can force pages in Master Pages how? When I looked in Help, the only procedure I found was for forcing it in Page Layout. Can you direct me to a procedure in Help?

BTW, thanx for hanging in here with me! :D
Christy Patton
Technical Communications

MadPak
Flare 6.1
Capture 4.0
ChristyPatton
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by ChristyPatton »

You know, what if I go into the css for my H1>printsupport>page-break-before and set it to right. If I use the Master Page feature will that cause the correct page breaks?

I'm going to try it because my images worked in Master Page. I would still like to solve the mystery because of my flawed personality but hey, what a challenge! :lol:
Christy Patton
Technical Communications

MadPak
Flare 6.1
Capture 4.0
ChristyPatton
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by ChristyPatton »

Ok, that was interesting. It worked...in an unexpected way. All new chapters are forced to start on the right side but....(and don't you know there always is one) ...but, the 'empty' left page does not get a number so the subsequent chapter might start on an even page number on the right hand page. From a style rule that might be ok, I don't know. I'll have to check with my fearless leader to see if it is ok with him since we aren't using any style references. He usually prefers to have blank pages include the header and footer and be numbered.

I may have to go with post processing. I just want to learn to harness the power of Flare.
Christy Patton
Technical Communications

MadPak
Flare 6.1
Capture 4.0
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

Here is how I think you are supposed to do it, at least this is how I think it worked with Master Pages in Flare v3.1:

I think you open the printed master page, and right-click on the topic body proxy, then select Edit Body Proxy...

From the dialog, click "Printer Page Properties"

Then change the page type to "Odd Pages"

Click Ok, then Ok, then save your master page.

I'm looking back at guides that I printed back in Flare v3.1, and my verso pages (even) before chapter starts were indeed blank, but the page number was counted, so that the chapters always started on odd pages.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog