PDF-engine, PDF-settings

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
KHHS
Propeller Head

PDF-engine, PDF-settings

Post by KHHS »

As i understand, it needs some kind of a pdf-engine oder renderer (like Distiller) to output pdfs.
Now there are my questions:
What (internal?) pdf-engine does Flare use? Or to put it differently: does it make any difference, if there is Acrobat/Distiller installed on the system, and if so, which version?
What about the pdf-settings like font-embedding, image-compression etc.? Does Flare use the standard/active Distiller-settings (if installed) or is there another way to control these settings?
I didn't find the answers in the Flare Help or here in the forums (obviously), but if they exist, maybe s.o. could just point me to them?

By the way: What PDF-settings do you use for good results (PDF for online distribution, local printing by the user)?
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Re: PDF-engine, PDF-settings

Post by KevinDAmery »

Up until version 3.1, you needed either FrameMaker or Word 2007 installed on your system to output directly to PDF. If you had Word 2003, you could also output to Word and then use Acrobat or another tool to print from Word to a PDF.

In version 4, though, these other tools are no longer necessary: Flare 4 can output directly to PDF on its own.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
KHHS
Propeller Head

Re: PDF-engine, PDF-settings

Post by KHHS »

KevinDAmery wrote:In version 4, though, these other tools are no longer necessary: Flare 4 can output directly to PDF on its own.
Yes, i know that and have already done this many times successfully. This is a great function!
But most applications i know have some (more or less) options or settings for creating PDFs. Of course i can always open the Flare-PDFs with PDF-Edit-Tools (like Acrobat or 3rd party tools) and change the settings. But I wonder which settings Flare uses first hand for generating PDFs.