Images broken in MS Word output when viewed on another pc

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
bash7012
Propeller Head

Images broken in MS Word output when viewed on another pc

Post by bash7012 »

Hi,

I'm having a very strange problem with the MS Word output. It builds with the images in an images folder and the file as a .doc file. When I view the file on my machine, all looks fine but if I send the same Help file output folder (containing the .doc file and the images folder with the images) to someone else, when they view it all the images fail to display. They get nothing but image block outlines and the little cross in the corner to say that the image is missing.

Can anyone help? PLEASE

Kind regards,
bash7012
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Re: Images broken in MS Word output when viewed on another pc

Post by wclass »

This looks like a Word problem. If the other person selects the whole document and updates the fields (press F9 key), the images should all appear. I can't think of any Word settings that would affect this (investigated update links on open, and picture placeholders).

A work around is to embed the images in the Word document - see the Knowledge base article called OUTPW1010F - Embedding Images in Word at:
http://kb.madcapsoftware.com/Content/Fl ... n_word.htm
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

AFAIK Word uses absolute paths when referring to external images rather than relative paths. So even sending the image folder along won't do much good unless the paths match exactly. The best thing to do is to embed the images in the Word document, which will not only make this work, but also guarantee that the images are tagging along when the document is forwarded. The downside to that is that it bloats the word document even more, so depending on the situation you may want to see if using PDF is a better option.
bash7012
Propeller Head

Post by bash7012 »

Thanks guys :D The KB embedding images solution worked!

I am VERY grateful!

Kind regards,
bash7012