Table formatting

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
anniep
Propeller Head

Table formatting

Post by anniep »

The tables in my PDF Print Output extend past the page. To correct this, I:
-Created a Master page Layout and extended the margins: Did not correct the issue
-Clicked "Print Layout" view to manually change table widths, saved, regenerated PDF Target: Did not correct the issue
-Modified the defined CSS styles for Print medium for tables: Did not correct the issue
-Looked at the width pixel set for the tables that did look ok and compared it to the tables going over the margin; found discrepency; changed code in Notepad to fix, saved, regenereated PDF Target: Did not correct the issue.

Ugh. Any other troubleshooting possibilities I overlooked?

Thanks!
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Table formatting

Post by LTinker68 »

Make sure you don't have column widths and table width specified either inline in the topic or via the stylesheet. Either use column widths or use table widths. Or use the table width and column widths on all but one column. If your column widths total to more than the table width, then the column widths take precedence.

Are you using percentages for the column or table widths? I can't remember if it's a problem in PDF output, but in Word output if you have a table width of 100% but the table is indented 1 inch, then the table extends past the right margin because Word isn't smart enough to realize that it should be 100% from the table's left margin, not 100% from the page edge.

To be more precise for print outputs, you should use inches (or points) for positioning and widths -- don't use pixels or ems. You can use pixels for online styles and specify inches for print styles. So the margin-left of the table for online output may be 40px but could be .5 inch for print output.

Open the topic in the Internal Text Editor. Flare throws some inline styles on the table tag depending on what settings you specified in the Table Properties screen and these styles sometimes throw things off, so it's better to delete them. For instance, centering the table throws a margin-left:auto and margin-right:auto inline on the table tag, and I'm not sure print outputs understand what to do with those values.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
anniep
Propeller Head

Re: Table formatting

Post by anniep »

Shucks. Ok. This is going to take me some time to investigate. Thanks for providing me with some direction on the issue. Our interface designer created the table style (he wasn't a fan of the FLARE CSS system and used his own css) -- I know px is used and not percentages- just not clear or certain as to where. Believe it's defind in online, but still need to look where it is or may be defined for the print. Thanks again for your assistance!!